Simandoa Conserfariam behaving weird

Auz

Hey all!

I've been raising these two  Simandoa nymphs for a couple months now and I've noticed some weird behavior. They tend to hide up on the sides of the lid (don't worry, I only unlocked the lid in the picture to get a good picture of what it was doing) instead of in the substrate/leaves. I catch one of them doing this at least 2-3 times a week. I currently don't have bark in the container, but I've heard they do enjoy that. Is this just simply a preference or is this a behavior that is concerning? They've been doing this for a long while, before I added the leaves. I was hoping that the leaves would get their attention but it hasn't worked thaaat well yet. 

If they're not hiding up by the lid, they're hiding behind/under their food bowl. I took out their bowl for a couple days to see if they were venture into the leaves more and they both decided to hang up near the lid. So, I put their bowl back and I can currently see one hiding behind it while I'm typing.

I know this could just be a preference for them but I am just paranoid that they don't enjoy their environment. Thanks for any advice!

simandoa on the lid.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

May I suggest you move them to a different type of bin? The extinct roach is deemed to require containment by the USDA as I learned when I applied for the permit for that species. I have some of the containers that you are currently using, and I would not feel comfortable about keeping Simandoa conserfariam, at least not young nymphs, in one of them.