Strange Deformation on Hisser Nymph?

kawaiiroaches

So I had a few nymphs moult yesterday, and I noticed one looked... Well...
Here’s a picture.  

Will he be okay? He’s a very solid roach, very fast too. He seems to have no trouble with socializing. In almost 200 roach nymphs, I have never seen a deformation quite like this. Is it a deformation? Or genetics? I’d absolutely love to know. I’m really curious, as he’s quickly becoming my new favorite dude. 

I've seen a few with one or two of their body plates turned up like that after a moult (usually to adulthood thought), but not all of them! For what it's worth the ones I've seen with one or two plates turned up seemed to have no issues with the deformation, were healthy and lived normal lives, but what I don't know is what causes it and whether this one will be any different because all its body plates seem to be turned up.

I guess if it seems OK and is eating etc. the best thing to do would be to keep an eye on it and see what happens at its next moult?

Probably just some random molting incident or genetic fluke to blame, whether it negatively impacts the nymphs remains to be seen, the only thing I worry about are the subsequent molts, they might get stuck in their old skins... 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2019 at 12:17 AM, Hisserdude said:

just some random molting incident or genetic fluke to blame, whether it negatively impacts the nymphs remains to be seen, the only thing I worry about are the subsequent molts, they might get stuck in their old skins... 

It seems surprisingly rare though, taking into account usually inbred population type.

Many keepers start their colonies from just several roaches, or even a single pair... And these colonies successfully thrive and grow for years, with very few aberrants.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mehraban said:

It seems surprisingly rare though, taking into account usually inbred population type.

Many keepers start their colonies from just several roaches, or even a single pair... And these colonies successfully thrive and grow for years, with very few aberrants.

Yeah inbreeding roaches has almost NEVER been an actual problem, unless people don't cull off their deformities, even then some of those aren't even genetic and thus can't be passed on. Many of the species in the hobby now were originally started from only one or two wild pairs for example, including some of our oldest stocks... :)

• Like 1