Hello from Russia!

Hello dear like-minded people!

I am very glad that there are so many of us — Blattodea lovers around the world. Thank you very much to the forum administration for hosting me here!

I have been doing Blattodea for over 20 years. His main interests are the tribe Gromphadorhini, the family Corydiidae, and the subfamily Panesthiinae. In general, I love everyone Blattodea sensu lato :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy it here! 😁 Would love to see pictures of the species you have! 

I currently have few species. It used to be over thirty. Now I am closely involved in the tribe Gromphadorhini.

Here is what I have at the moment:

BLATTODEA BRUNNER VON WATTENWYL, 1882

1. Aeluropoda insignis Butler, 1882
  2. Archimandrita tessellata Rehn, 1903
  3. Elliptorhina chopardi (Lefeuvre, 1966)
  4. Elliptorhina javanica (Hanitsch, 1930)
  5. Gromphadorhina grandidieri Kirby, 1904
  6. Gyna caffrorum (Stål, 1856)
  7. Nauphoeta cinerea (Olivier, 1789)
  8. Polyphaga aegyptiaca (Linnaeus, 1758)
  9. Polyphaga saussurei (Dohrn, 1888)
  10. Princisia vanwaerebeki van Herrewege, 1973
  11. Shelfordella lateralis (Walker, 1868)
  12. Therea bernhardti fritzsche, 2009

Also, I have Diplopoda living:

DIPLOPODA DE BLAINVILLE, 1844

1. Anadenobolus monilicornis (Porat, 1876)
  2. Archispirostreptus gigas (Peters, 1855)
  3. Epibolus pulchripes (Gerstäcker, 1873)
  4. Telodeinopus aoutii (Demange, 1971)
  5. Tonkinbolus caudulanus (Karsch, 1881)
  6. Salpidobolus sp. Irian jaya
  7. Spirobolida sp. Thailand
  8. Spirobolus walkeri Pocock, 1895
  9. Xenobolus carnifex (Fabricius, 1775)

and Scorpiones:

SCORPIONES C. L. KOCH, 1837

1. Androctonus crassicauda (Olivier, 1807)
  2. Mesobuthus gorelovi Fet, Kovařík, Gantenbein, Kaiser, Stewart et Graham, 2018
  3. Orthochirus scrobiculosus (Grube, 1873)

but it is already offtopic :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gromphadorhini said:

Hello dear like-minded people!

I am very glad that there are so many of us — Blattodea lovers around the world. Thank you very much to the forum administration for hosting me here!

I have been doing Blattodea for over 20 years. His main interests are the tribe Gromphadorhini, the family Corydiidae, and the subfamily Panesthiinae. In general, I love everyone Blattodea sensu lato :rolleyes:

Welcome! Awesome to have you here. 🙂

17 hours ago, Gromphadorhini said:

I currently have few species. It used to be over thirty. Now I am closely involved in the tribe Gromphadorhini.

Here is what I have at the moment:

Very nice collection, thanks for sharing! 😁 By the way, the tiger hissers Gromphadorhina "grandidieri" in the hobby aren't real Gromphadorhina grandidieri, this is what actual grandidieri look like:

http://cockroach.speciesfile.org/Common/basic/Taxa.aspx?TaxonNameID=1174410

The hobby grandidieri more closely match the type specimen of Princisia vanwaerbeki, however that's most likely an invalid genus, (likely just a Gromphadorhina species), so other than Gromphadorhina sp. "Tiger", I'm not sure what else to call them. 

2 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

Очень хорошая коллекция, спасибо, что поделились! 😁 Кстати, тигровые шишки Gromphadorhina "grandidieri" в хобби - не настоящие Gromphadorhina grandidieri , вот как выглядят настоящие grandidieri :

http://cockroach.speciesfile.org/Common/basic/Taxa.aspx?TaxonNameID=1174410

Хобби grandidieri более точно соответствовать типовой образцу из Princisia vanwaerbeki , однако , что наиболее вероятно , недопустимого рода, (скорее всего лишь Gromphadorhina видов), так , кроме Gromphadorhina зра. «Тигр», я не уверен, как еще их назвать. 

linly_0366-1326_1973_hos_42_10_T1_0100_0

I have G. grandidieri from Jörg Bernhardt, they currently go with him like G. portentosa 'Black', and before, they sold him like G. grandidieri. Now the validity of the taxon is being called into question and many believe that it is just a black morph of G. portentosa. However, the description of the lectotype and paralectotype states that G. rgandidieri are completely black cockroaches. The genitals of males G. grandidieri, G. oblongonota, G. picea, G. portentosa and Princisia vanwaerebeki are identical, I prepared the preparations and compared them. It may well be that these are generally all subspecies of the same species.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gromphadorhini said:

I have G. grandidieri from Jörg Bernhardt, they currently go with him like G. portentosa 'Black', and before, they sold him like G. grandidieri. Now the validity of the taxon is being called into question and many believe that it is just a black morph of G. portentosa. However, the description of the lectotype and paralectotype states that G. rgandidieri are completely black cockroaches. The genitals of males G. grandidieri, G. oblongonota, G. picea, G. portentosa and Princisia vanwaerebeki are identical, I prepared the preparations and compared them. It may well be that these are generally all subspecies of the same species.

Ah OK, yeah we have a black "grandidieri" strain in the US, that supposedly was isolated from the tiger stock, but since black individuals never seem to pop up in pure tiger strains nowadays, I'm thinking most black "grandidieri" in the hobby are mislabeled black G.portentosa, (and most of those are probably hybrid portentosa)... But yeah I agree, all the Gromphadorhina and Princisia are probably just geological variations of the same species, even Aeluropoda may be an invalid genus, since they can apparently hybridize with Gromphadorhina... 

13 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

Ах, хорошо, да, у нас есть черный штамм "grandidieri" в США, который предположительно был изолирован от тигрового стада, но, поскольку в наши дни черные особи, кажется, никогда не появляются в чистом виде тигров, я думаю, что большинство черных "grandidieri" в хобби являются помечаются черный G . portentosa , (и большинство из них, вероятно, гибридные portentosa ) ... Но да, я согласен, все Gromphadorhina и Princisia, вероятно, являются просто геологическими вариациями одного и того же вида, даже Aeluropoda может быть недействительным родом, поскольку они, очевидно, могут гибридизоваться с Gromphadorhina. ... 

"Tiger" are very close to Princisia, they have very similar pronotums. If you look at the photographs of the typical material Princisia vanwaerebeki — holotype and paratype, then we can conclude that Princisia sp. 'Black and White' and P. sp. 'Tricolor', which is often sold as Gromphadorhina grandidieri, is simply a variation of P. vanwaerebeki, apparently arising in the culture. From the black (typical) Gromphadorhina grandidieri, they noticeably differ in the form of pronotum. :)

3 hours ago, Gromphadorhini said:

"Tiger" are very close to Princisia, they have very similar pronotums. If you look at the photographs of the typical material Princisia vanwaerebeki — holotype and paratype, then we can conclude that Princisia sp. 'Black and White' and P. sp. 'Tricolor', which is often sold as Gromphadorhina grandidieri, is simply a variation of P. vanwaerebeki, apparently arising in the culture. From the black (typical) Gromphadorhina grandidieri, they noticeably differ in the form of pronotum. :)

Exactly, so the "Tigers" are probably Princisia vanwaerbeki, (though as we've discussed that genus is likely invalid), whereas the black "grandidieri" are either actual grandidieri, or quite possibly mislabeled black portentosa strains... I'm thinking the latter, since I've always heard that the "Black" grandidieri were isolated from a colony of the "Tigers", yet they are more similar in morphology to portentosa... 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/3/2020 at 9:32 PM, Gromphadorhini said:

linly_0366-1326_1973_hos_42_10_T1_0100_0

I decided to revisit this topic, and found that the above paper describes G.grandidieri males as having a black thorax, and purple-brown abdomen, like this wild individual. However, besides that one black female in the above paper, it seems that most wild grandidieri females are a similar shade of brown... See this female, almost certainly grandidieri given the range, (and was ID'd by George Beccaloni, the person who photographed the wild male G.grandidieri above).

Basically, while there may be the occasional black G.grandidieri in the wild, it's probably rare. I really think Jörg's stock are either line bred G.portentosa, line bred "portentosa" hybrids, or perhaps whatever the sp. "Black Tiger" are in the US, (which are supposedly line bred from the same stock as the tiger hissers, in Europe called "Princisia vanwaerbeki - Tricolor", in US called "Gromphadorhina grandidieri").

If you need more proof, George Beccaloni says true grandidieri have sharp, small tubercles on their abdomens, whereas the small tubercles on most hissers are smooth. Also, from what I've seen, wild grandidieri tend to have noticeably more granulated exoskeletons than other Gromphadorhina, no matter the color. 

So I'm sorry, but those hissers you have from Jörg almost certainly aren't Gromphadorhina grandidieri, it appears there aren't any real grandidieri in the hobby yet.