First time breeding hissers: Please give advice

Hi all,

I just discovered that one of my hissers is expecting.  I usually keep my males and females separate, but I must have missexed one of my females and now I have nymphs on the way.  My questions are:

How many gallons do I need for the tank?  Do I need something other than a reptile tank with a screen lid.  What else do I need to know?  I'm feeling very nervous as I wasn't quite ready to start a colony, but I think I can do this!  Any advice is welcome.

Thank you,

Crazy Bug Lady.

After doing some additional research, and looking at every single roach in my tank, I've come to the following possible conclusions:

1. There was no male present, so the females probably came to me pregnant and have been holding their eggs until conditions were right.

2. I probably have more than one pregnant hissing roach.

I'm a bit worried that I'm going to have too many of them and would still really like some pointers on what I should do.  Thanks in advance for any help.

I feel pretty bad that these nymphs are likely hybrids.  It was never my intention to breed, but I don't really want to euthanize the mothers, especially since I can't tell which of my females are pregnant or not.  I have sixteen females all together, four of which are subadults and I was just keeping my females by themselves.  If I don't start a colony, I would really like to rehome the twelve adult females (the four subadults are being kept separate).  Since they are a mix of wide-horn and likely hybrids, I realize that I might have to let them be feeders.  I don't really want this, but want to be responsible.  Again, any input would be welcome and appreciated either on the topic of rehoming or setting up a colony.  Please also see my add listing for the females if interested.

• 2 months later...

Thank you so much for being willing to take them on.  However, the females have been relocated to an education center/zoo where they can have their nymphs and be cared for in a manner that won't require any to be killed.  I believe the nymphs were to be a mix of wide-horn and common hisser, but since it wasn't one of my own males that bred them I can't really be sure.  I did a lot of research and I found out that hissers can carry fertalized eggs inside for a long time, which explains them being pregnant without one of my males breeding them.  Needless to say I've learned my lesson and will only be purchasing subadult females if any from now on. :)

59 minutes ago, Crazy Bug Lady said:

Thank you so much for being willing to take them on.  However, the females have been relocated to an education center/zoo where they can have their nymphs and be cared for in a manner that won't require any to be killed.  I believe the nymphs were to be a mix of wide-horn and common hisser, but since it wasn't one of my own males that bred them I can't really be sure.  I did a lot of research and I found out that hissers can carry fertalized eggs inside for a long time, which explains them being pregnant without one of my males breeding them.  Needless to say I've learned my lesson and will only be purchasing subadult females if any from now on. :)

The spermatophore from breeding probably lasts close to a year.