Hello! Preparing to get my first roach colony

Mun

Hello! I'm working on a rather unusual custom enclosure and I am preparing to get some feeder roaches (probably G. portentosa) to farm in it. I thought it would be a good idea to sign up and get some of my last questions answered!

I currently have a couple small bins of mealworms, and I kept crickets for a while but now I'd like to try roaches instead.

39 minutes ago, Allpet Roaches said:

I say try Blaberus or Eublaberus, hissers are beautiful, especially a massive male oblongonota but they climb and babies can be a pain to enclose, especially in big numbers.

I need it to be completely enclosed anyway, so it shouldn't matter if they can climb around inside. What do you suppose is the maximum clearance where the babies won't fit? I've heard they are about 1 mm. Fine metal screens for ventilation, and all other parts of the enclosure will be closed at all times with rubber seals. My main concern is keeping the air vents with small enough holes that can't be walked or chewed through.

I found a 304 stainless steel screen on Amazon that says 0.18 mm holes, do you think that will be enough?

Just now, Allpet Roaches said:

They can be as little as 1mm high (dorsoventrally flattened) but many times longer and wider. It's more about leaving a lid open or off on accident.

Ok, in that case I think I will be fine. It's not actually possible to leave the lid open in normal operation, and all the holes should be below 1 mm.