Starting with Blatticompostng

So I'd like to set up a roach bin for blatticompostng. I culture some earthworm species but they don't consume very much and I've heard roaches can be pretty quick and handle larger volumes of food.

Who has experience with this? Any tips or tricks?

If so, what species have you used and how do you keep them?  

Thanks!

• Like 1

I've used Eublaberus sp. "Ivory" and E. serranus. All you really need is a healthy starting number, an appropriate sized enclosure, and warmth. Once the colony gets big enough food disappears really quickly.

I will say though I've had a lot of problems with too much moisture getting trapped in the enclosure because of all the water in fruits and veggies, so I would recommend good ventilation to prevent you ending up with a swamp in a bin.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 8/27/2021 at 7:06 PM, GardenDrag0n said:

So I'd like to set up a roach bin for blatticompostng. I culture some earthworm species but they don't consume very much and I've heard roaches can be pretty quick and handle larger volumes of food.

Who has experience with this? Any tips or tricks?

If so, what species have you used and how do you keep them?  

Thanks!

I have used Blaptica, Eublaberus, Aeluropoda, etc... Composting rates are similar almost for me... I am using now Hemiblabera and Pycnoscelus. I can't draw any conclusions yet, but the Hemiblabera are surprising me. They eat more than I thought they would

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have my ivories in a 4'x2'x10" tank with screen lids and a heat panel set to 80. There's also springtails and isopods in there, but they are recent and haven't really started breeding.

I give em a good mist on half the enclosure every couple days. It's only a small/medium colony so far, but they gobble up the handful or so of kitchen scraps I give them almost every day 🤷 I feel confident by this time next year they'll be able to handle all my family's leftovers and scraps 😛

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Recently I received common and Halloween hissers.  Years ago I kept worms.  Composting is on my to-do list eventually.