Finally receiving my Gyna centurio nymphs! (a bit nervous)

so cape cod roaches FINALLY shipped my centurion nymphs. I currently house other species of roaches and beetles, but have not housed any of the Gyna species. I`m pretty sure I know what to do, but I paid nearly $50 (including shipping) for 5 nymphs and I want to have the best chance at success with raising a colony. especially since in my experience nymphs of pretty much all species tend to be much trickier than the adults. once they make it to full maturity you tend to relax a little, but until then there are just so many things that could go wrong. any and all help would be much appreciated!

• Like 1

Hey there!

The things to keep in mind with most gyna species is temperature and humidity in my experience. Gyna centurio need to be kept at a minimum in the upper seventies range but will thrive and grow faster in the low eighties (80-82 would be optimal). A nice deep substrate that would hold moisture is needed for nymphs to burrow and relieve stress. Keep in mind to not flood the substrate as good ventilation is also needed (don’t want a swamp in there that would prove to be disastrous), mist the substrate one to two times a day thoroughly as needed. A good, deep coconut fiber bedding with dead hardwood leaves or lots of hides will do nicely. Make sure to not pack the bedding in as good aeration will be needed, always think no swamp, no swamp in your head as stated above hahah. Finally gyna LOVE Fruit and provide a roach protein source (I like fish flakes for my roach species) and I think you’ll be Golden 😊

• Like 2

thanks! I have been doing pretty much all of these things as they just arrived two days ago. the only thing I don`t have a lot of is dead leaves but I have some as that is partially what their substrate consisted of in the container they arrived in. I think I just get a little too paranoid sometimes.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, that_bug_girl said:

thanks! I have been doing pretty much all of these things as they just arrived two days ago. the only thing I don`t have a lot of is dead leaves but I have some as that is partially what their substrate consisted of in the container they arrived in. I think I just get a little too paranoid sometimes.

I do the same thing; I overthink and over analyze everything when it’s comes to cockroaches but it sounds like you’ve got it made and have nothing to worry about :). I wish you’re new babies the best and can’t wait for an update when they’ve reached adulthood! 

1 hour ago, BlattodeaKW said:

I do the same thing; I overthink and over analyze everything when it’s comes to cockroaches but it sounds like you’ve got it made and have nothing to worry about :). I wish you’re new babies the best and can’t wait for an update when they’ve reached adulthood! 

I cant`t wait either! I really hope they all grow into healthy, thriving adults and produce even more little nymphs to start off a small colony. but I guess that`s really just every cockroach lover`s dream. but yeah, I always stress about the nymphs. if you don`t separate them in a very small enclosure, they are often so small that when they vanish you will never know if it`s for good or if they`re just smartly hiding well. lesson learned with my first group of hisser nymphs  anyways.

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2021 at 6:56 PM, that_bug_girl said:

so cape cod roaches FINALLY shipped my centurion nymphs. I currently house other species of roaches and beetles, but have not housed any of the Gyna species. I`m pretty sure I know what to do, but I paid nearly $50 (including shipping) for 5 nymphs and I want to have the best chance at success with raising a colony. especially since in my experience nymphs of pretty much all species tend to be much trickier than the adults. once they make it to full maturity you tend to relax a little, but until then there are just so many things that could go wrong. any and all help would be much appreciated!

OMG THEY FINALLY DID IT!

I'm glad they FINALLY sent them! I do keep this species and they are pretty prolific once they get going. Mine destroyed a whole carrot on a week when I was on vacation. The adults can climb but aren't exceptionally high strung in my experience. These guys in my opinion tend to be pretty chill as far as Gyna species go. They're not big eaters until you get lots of them and they are pretty ok with most veggies, fruit and protein options. I honestly have no issues from them so if you keep them about normal roach humidity they should be fine. Give them a nice loose substrate though as all stages LOVE burrowing. I have mine on a bioactive kind of thing with coco fiber and cypress mulch I think though it's been a while since I set them up. 

Hope that helps and feel free to PM me for any further questions. I personally love G. centurio and they're not too hard to raise in my opinion.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Congratulations!

I might give them a home eventually, but for now I'm focusing on hissers.