Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dociledragons

Blending power for dog food

12 posts in this topic

What wattage of blending power to you guys use for blending dog food? Some blenders are 700 Watts while others are 450 Watts. I'm trying to decide what is the best blender to purchase. I may be over thinking this but I'll let somebody chime in here to tell my that.

I just put the dog food in the enclosure with the fruit and veg. Then the roaches grind it up! :)

Natural simplicity...

I put kibble in a ziploc bag and smash it with a hammer until its in powder form, my parents won't let me use a blender for anything other than "people" food.

I have a small nut grinder (electric). It handles about one-half cup of kibble at once. It takes a half-minute to grind the kibble into usable form for the roaches. They are inexpensive and can be cleaned easily after each use.

Blenders generally don't do well with things that aren't wet. (Which is why we no longer have one....) Even food processors aren't great with hard lumpy things and when I've done dog food in mine it wouldn't nicely powder it down but instead just make it into slightly smaller clumps and it made an absolute mess in the process.

I second getting a nut or coffee grinder. It'll take longer, but it'll do a better job if you want it to be fine. :)

We have a separate blender specifically for grinding dog food. I'd probably go for the bigger wattage. Blending is nice if you want to mix other things in there instead of just having dog food. Also, more food is going to fit in the bowl if its grinded up. I usually put the food in, blend for a few seconds, then kinda shake it or tap it so it mixes. Otherwise you'll sometimes end up mixing the bottom portion and the top will just sit there unblended. Its a lot easier if you only fill it about half full.

I have never, ever smashed or blended up dog food. I have never seen a roach species that required 'baby food'.

I use a small disposable pepper mill (Watkins brand) that comes with the pepper already in it. I put my dry Dog and Cat food in the mill and it grinds it up to a fine consistency. Works great for me. :)

Thanks everybody for the info. I ended up purchasing a used blender for 5.00 bucks. The 500 watt blender is working well.

Beyond the lack of necessity, I prefer not to blend the dog food because it makes it difficult to monitor feeding levels and can lead to pest problems because finely powdered food readily falls into the substrate unseen.