ID help. Don't think they're all lateralis

kLPvfxLhSPSJn6RoI5AikG_r1iWr02rj9dtAMv4k

I was sorting these and saw a few that looked a little different. I didn't think much of it till I saw they started climbing up the walls of the plastic containers. Not all of them could climb just the ones that looked like the picture. They climbed very quickly and easily up 3 different containers. One of the containers was the 32oz clear plastic soup container. They're a little flater and wider then the ones I know are lateralis nypmes. 

• 1 month later...

Odd the image stopped working.

I have a new picture of one now that it's larger. It's between 1.25" and 1.50" or around 3-3.6cm. Their very fast and climb like its nothing so I'm a little afraid of trying to go looking for a possible winged male.

Here's a picture of one next to one of my lateralis females. It looks brighter red like in the 1st picture. The other pictures turned out dark but show the size difference and body shape a little more.

120220921_195230.jpg.ab669041f739a9b7ca0fe5bbc79e6b12.jpg

120220921_195246.jpg.b247d0a7b85e4e2fd6fcbb0d9cb774e1.jpg120220921_195302.jpg.7995d62ec4f957e7f1d7271dcfa8928c.jpg120220921_195320.jpg.2ab5fead7aa5fbff8a2343dcb1a053a6.jpg

Ok thank you. I was thinking that maybe the case the other one I came up with was smoky brown cockroach (Periplante fuliginose) when I as looking but had no idea if either was right. The red runners they were mix with came from Arizona.

So far they seem to be doing fine with the red runners just on egg crates with a little box of most soil so I'm guessing I can keep them like that and just try to split them up in 2 containers. Never had any interest in the American roaches but there here now lol. Is there any possibility that the 2 could cross breed or if I split them up will I still have all my lateralis to keep breeding?

On 9/21/2022 at 10:18 PM, yasha2802 said:

Ok thank you. I was thinking that maybe the case the other one I came up with was smoky brown cockroach (Periplante fuliginose) when I as looking but had no idea if either was right. The red runners they were mix with came from Arizona.

So far they seem to be doing fine with the red runners just on egg crates with a little box of most soil so I'm guessing I can keep them like that and just try to split them up in 2 containers. Never had any interest in the American roaches but there here now lol. Is there any possibility that the 2 could cross breed or if I split them up will I still have all my lateralis to keep breeding?

Uhhh, while American roaches are interesting, I would suggest cleaning out your roach bin, separating out as many red runners as you can, and then euthanizing the rest. American cockroaches will thrive in your home, and I would not take any chances. 

3 hours ago, The Wolven said:

Uhhh, while American roaches are interesting, I would suggest cleaning out your roach bin, separating out as many red runners as you can, and then euthanizing the rest. American cockroaches will thrive in your home, and I would not take any chances. 

American roaches generally can't breed inside your house, only outside... They'll often wander indoors looking for food, but that's the extent of their pestyness, their ooths need it pretty humid, more humid than the average human home.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 11:00 PM, Hisserdude said:

American roaches generally can't breed inside your house, only outside... They'll often wander indoors looking for food, but that's the extent of their pestyness, their ooths need it pretty humid, more humid than the average human home.

Ah I see. I've become pretty paranoid after I had hitchhikers that came with my red runners. They appeared to be German cockroach nymphs. Anything that would hitch a ride with my roaches would be automatically euthanized (unless it's a species that can be identified and isn't infestatious). 

8 hours ago, The Wolven said:

Ah I see. I've become pretty paranoid after I had hitchhikers that came with my red runners. They appeared to be German cockroach nymphs. Anything that would hitch a ride with my roaches would be automatically euthanized (unless it's a species that can be identified and isn't infestatious). 

Yeah GERMAN roaches are great at infesting houses... 😅 Americans, not so much thankfully.

• Like 1

Thank you guys.

I wasn't really interested in some roaches for the same reason thinking they may take over, but after some reading is seems like a lot of the ones i looked up aren't that bad. Most of them need a leaky pipe, heat, food, ect. a lot of stuff that just makes them not interested in really living in a house. I've actually seen someone say how really roaches are good and kind of just tell you something is wrong if they do infest your home. I know that's not the case for all roaches tho. I also am a lot more leary of some getting away then others.

• Like 1