Sound Producing Roaches

I thought it'd be interesting to compile a list of cockroaches in the hobby that are capable of producing sound! Just got some Eurycotis floridana "Big Torch Key" and was shocked to hear them hiss, causing me to wonder what other vocal species might be out there that nobody talks about. 😃 I'll start it off with the species I've personally witnessed produce sound/know can produce sound, whether it be through stridulation or hissing.

Hissers (Gromphadorhina, Elliptorhina, Aleuropoda, Princisia, etc.) *Hissing*

Macropanesthia rhinoceros *Hissing*

Nauphoeta cinerea *Stridulation*

Henschotedenia flexivitta *Stridulation*

Simandoa conserfariam *Stridulation*

Rhyparobia sp. "Gold" *Stridulation*

Eurycotis floridana *Hissing*

Blaberus giganteus *Stridulation*

Blaberus colosseus *Stridulation*

Blaberus craniifer *Stridulation*

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Martin said:

Archiblatta hoeveni - hissing

Of course! These sound especially neat. Don't know how I forgot about them! 😅

6 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

Deropeltis sp. 'Masai Mara" also kinda do a hissing thing when they spray their defensive fluid.

Interesting, didn't know that!

• Like 1

Has anyone experienced Blaberus spp making a snapping sound with their wings? My Blaberus giganteus would sometimes snap their wings when I opened the cage.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got some common hisser nymphs and so far they are quite, but I've left them alone to acclimate and rest after being shipped.

On 8/18/2022 at 2:12 PM, dogpack said:

I just got some common hisser nymphs and so far they are quite, but I've left them alone to acclimate and rest after being shipped.

I believe only the adults can hiss, could be wrong, but the is my understanding of it 

They seem to have settled in ok.

I got some Halloween hissers.  The mistake I made was using duct tape to attach screen to the enclosure.  Some got stuck to the tape.  I do not know if any got loose.  The rest are ok in the enclosure.  I changed them from that enclosure into a newly prepared one and fixed the problem.  Sadly I learned the hard way.  The duct tapes ok for lids so far but not for sides.  I probably will only use duct tape for non-crawling non-flying insects just to keep unwanted living thing out of those containers/enclosures.

On 8/21/2022 at 3:41 PM, TheIvory said:

I believe only the adults can hiss, could be wrong, but the is my understanding of it 

Large hisser nymphs can hiss actually, though they are much more hesitant to do so than adults.

So far my hissers are quiet, or I am unable to hear them hiss.