Neostylopyga rhombifolia (Harlequin Roach)

Stock from the Chinese hobby, unknown collection origin. Hopefully decently hardier than the US stocks, they've been a breeze to rear so far, but incubating/hatching their ooths is the main hassle apparently. 

Adult male:

N.rhombifolia%231.JPG

N.rhombifolia%233.JPG

N.rhombifolia%238.JPG

N.rhombifolia%236.JPG

Adult female:

NeostylopygarhombifoliaAF%232.JPG

NeostylopygarhombifoliaAF%235.JPG

NeostylopygarhombifoliaAF%237.JPG

NeostylopygarhombifoliaAF%238.JPG

• Like 2

Gorgeous! Best of luck with establishing a colony. 😄 I've always loved this species, but have had trouble even keeping individuals alive in my 1 or 2 tries with U.S stocks. Never understood how some people seemed to have theirs breeding like pests. 😅

• Like 1

I am clearly on the later pool of people. For me this species is just like a periplaneta. keep dry, drop food, see it disappear and see them breed like crazy!

Not sure if this is an "urban" strain... but they seem strong enough to be able to survive in my room even after a few escaped. Its been a couple of months now. For example, even yesterday while moving my boxes around for the weekly feeding, i found yet another roaming. outside any box since its already too large to go back in through the lids.

Well, wish you TJ best of luck in establishing them once and for all on the US hobby! 

Cheers!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, All About Arthropods said:

Gorgeous! Best of luck with establishing a colony. 😄 I've always loved this species, but have had trouble even keeping individuals alive in my 1 or 2 tries with U.S stocks. Never understood how some people seemed to have theirs breeding like pests. 😅

Well these have been pretty easy to rear from L1 onwards with minimal care, so these may be hardier than the US stocks! 🤞:D 

1 hour ago, Martin said:

I am clearly on the later pool of people. For me this species is just like a periplaneta. keep dry, drop food, see it disappear and see them breed like crazy!

Not sure if this is an "urban" strain... but they seem strong enough to be able to survive in my room even after a few escaped. Its been a couple of months now. For example, even yesterday while moving my boxes around for the weekly feeding, i found yet another roaming. outside any box since its already too large to go back in through the lids.

Well, wish you TJ best of luck in establishing them once and for all on the US hobby! 

Cheers!

Clearly, I've seen your colony, very large and thriving! 😄 And it doesn't surprise me that they could survive in your room for a while, they seem to handle dry conditions well, and your ambient air humidity is pretty high to begin with regardless.

Thanks, hopefully they'll breed well for me, some of my females have started laying ooths already!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

Well these have been pretty easy to rear from L1 onwards with minimal care, so these may be hardier than the US stocks! 🤞:D

Clearly, I've seen your colony, very large and thriving! 😄 And it doesn't surprise me that they could survive in your room for a while, they seem to handle dry conditions well, and your ambient air humidity is pretty high to begin with regardless.

Thanks, hopefully they'll breed well for me, some of my females have started laying ooths already!

They shall not disappoint you!! :D omg! congrats! now fingers crossed! wanna see those babies running around! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Martin said:

They shall not disappoint you!! :D omg! congrats! now fingers crossed! wanna see those babies running around! 

So far they've definitely not disappointed, they're so much prettier in person than I thought this species was! 😄 Also bigger.

Yeah, hopefully in a few months I'll have new babies! 😁🤞