Morph Opinions

Silverback

• 2 weeks later...

Erm ok thank you for the opinion but would you care to venture what it might be 

Bearing in mind they came (as there's several of them) from a small colony of pure dairy cow and pure orange and nothing else so I'm not really sure what else they could be except some combination of the two

SB 

An orange dairy cow would have orange in the place of black. You may be seeing a yellow or orange wash caused by carotenoids in their diet. That is not an orange dairy cow.

All evidence suggests that P. laevis dairy cow and orange are different species, or at the very least sexually incompatible.

Thanks for your reply but it can't be diet as all my Roaches get essentially the same (certainly my dairy cows and oranges) and I've never had anything remotely similar/different (even slight oddities) from the individual colonies and my colonies are huge 

And it would be impossible to accurately predict a colour/markings scheme/pattern from something that's supposedly never been done tho I would of expected black patches with some type of orange background as the most likely

I've also read many times it's not possible but based on what I'm seeing it would seem it is especially as I bought a 100 the other day from someone who has a colony of 1000s and a friend of mine is an insect breeder and actually knows the chap and he has some of the same stock I got and assures me they are so based on evidence I'd have to say they do exist as there's no other explanation and the ones I've bought had black patches and orange combined with black speckles and some  background orange colour

I'm always reading/researching stuff but sometimes things happen that contradict what's accepted and I think this is one of those cases 

But I'm always happy to compare opinions and experiences so I'd be interested in your thoughts on what I've said 

SB 

To give more precise info 

I've got a huge dairy cow colony and a huge orange colony both kept identically 

Never saw anything but 100s of normal babies produced by both colonies 

Took 20 tiny babies of each and set them up in a small tub an identical smaller version of the big colonies and kept them identically 

As they matured started seeing some baby cows and oranges but a great many more wild types 

Jumping ahead a few generations and started seeing orange and black babies like the picture 

My conclusion was they were the offspring of the wild types

So the only logical conclusion is a cross between the two (cows/oranges) 

As always opinions welcomed the more feedback the better 

SB 

The individual in the image isn't even P.laevis BTW, looks like P.scaber to me. Morphology is completely wrong for laevis. You wouldn't believe how often stowaways can happen when getting isopod cultures...

My first thought was what the hell is this guy talking about 

My second thought was hang on its Hisserdude he knows exactly what he's talking about

That prompted my third thought of I'd better find my glasses 🥸

And I'll agree mate but I'm trying to work out how the hell I've posted the wrong pic so now I need to go through my folders/pics as I've been trying to be all organised and have a laevis folder a scaber folder etc but I've also been doing stuff without my glasses lately and the little pics are hard to see so I'll have to check every folder/pic now then maybe I'll find the right pic 

Thanks mate I'm truly embarrassed now it's not like they're similar unless your old and blind without your specs oh wait a minute I'm both 😳 

Wrong pic removed I'll replace with the right pic once I've found it 🧐

SB 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Silverback said:

My first thought was what the hell is this guy talking about 

My second thought was hang on its Hisserdude he knows exactly what he's talking about

That prompted my third thought of I'd better find my glasses 🥸

And I'll agree mate but I'm trying to work out how the hell I've posted the wrong pic so now I need to go through my folders/pics as I've been trying to be all organised and have a laevis folder a scaber folder etc but I've also been doing stuff without my glasses lately and the little pics are hard to see so I'll have to check every folder/pic now then maybe I'll find the right pic 

Thanks mate I'm truly embarrassed now it's not like they're similar unless your old and blind without your specs oh wait a minute I'm both 😳 

Wrong pic removed I'll replace with the right pic once I've found it 🧐

SB 

LOL well that makes a lot more sense then. 😂 Looking forward to seeing what the individual you meant to post looks like! :D