Euthyrrhapha pacifica (Pacific Cockroach)

Hisserdude

Finally, the roach that is @Peter Clausen's avatar has entered culture, and they're actually fairly easy too (basically Eucorydia type care). Got some CB nymphs from Roachcrossing, looking forward to watching them grow.

E.pacifica%232.JPG

E.pacifica%236.JPG

E.pacifica%237.JPG

E.pacifica%234.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Allpet Roaches said:

Are they from Hawaii or somewhere else?

Yes this stock came from Hawaii late last year. Along with some Melanozosteria soror.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Got my first adult, and wow they're tiny, half the size of Eucorydia yasumatsui. But super pretty still. :D

E.pacificaMale%235.JPG

E.pacificaMale%234.JPG

E.pacificaMale%231.JPG

E.pacificaMale%238.JPG

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
23 hours ago, Matttoadman said:

These are interesting. How are they kept?

Very easily, care is similar to other Corydiids, two third of substrate kept dry, the rest humid. Lots of ventilation, dog food and leaf litter diet, and they're good to go. Doesn't get a whole lot easier.

On 12/11/2023 at 5:03 PM, Matttoadman said:

How is there climbing ability?

Adults can climb pretty well, though they usually dive into the substrate when startled. 

Adult female:

E.pacificaFemale%232.JPG

E.pacificaFemale%235.JPG

E.pacificaFemale%237.JPG

Ootheca. Note the exit hole on the last picture, the oothecae of this species do not have an exit seam as is typical of roach ooths. Instead the nymphs chew their way out of their oothecae!

E.pacificaOoth%233.JPG

E.pacificaOoth%234.JPG

E.pacificaOoth%235.JPG

• Like 1

They appear to be a beetle mimic perhaps. They remind me of a beetle that has just landed and hasn’t yet folded its wings up. I wonder if there are any similar looking beetles in there native range? These look a good choice for a large jar with a “bean sprouting lid” then. 

• 3 months later...
On 12/13/2023 at 11:48 AM, Matttoadman said:

They appear to be a beetle mimic perhaps. They remind me of a beetle that has just landed and hasn’t yet folded its wings up. I wonder if there are any similar looking beetles in there native range? These look a good choice for a large jar with a “bean sprouting lid” then. 

Not sure if they're mimicking any specific type of beetle, but their appearance is very beetle-like. Could just be coincidence though.