If you were going to start a 55gl show cockroach tank

Although I'd imagine a 55 gallon full of Panchloras would be amazing, it would be difficult if not impossible to pull off. You'd have so many escapees...

The first roach that comes to my mind is B. craniifer. Colorful, majestic, mysterious... Although they're very shy if you have enough that wouldn't be a problem.

A. tesselata are really neat, sometimes come out during the day, but they're "only brown." Personally I think they're beautiful, but not stunning.

Maybe B. fusca? Although those are very similar to B. giganteus... Maybe B. colloseus, though those have a color scheme more like the tesselata.

How about a big tank full of hissers?

Although I'd imagine a 55 gallon full of Panchloras would be amazing, it would be difficult if not impossible to pull off. You'd have so many escapees...

The first roach that comes to my mind is B. craniifer. Colorful, majestic, mysterious... Although they're very shy if you have enough that wouldn't be a problem.

A. tesselata are really neat, sometimes come out during the day, but they're "only brown." Personally I think they're beautiful, but not stunning.

Maybe B. fusca? Although those are very similar to B. giganteus... Maybe B. colloseus, though those have a color scheme more like the tesselata.

How about a big tank full of hissers?

Already got one of those. Thinking about Lucihormetica (Hormetica) subcincta , Deropeltis paulinoi,or Schultesia lampyridiformis but like your ideas.

Already got one of those. Thinking about Lucihormetica (Hormetica) subcincta , Deropeltis paulinoi,or Schultesia lampyridiformis but like your ideas.

I think it would take you a couple years to get enough L. subcincta to fill a 55 gallon. D. paulinoi could work. S. lampyridiformis would probably have a high rate of escape like the Panchloras.

This tank is an old saltwater tank with just the two feeding wholes and piping which will be easily plugged. Read on some European site about magnets and microscreen this would be the perfect tank to try it out on. With my plan it will be extremely hard for any escapees but you would know best. Almost willing to risk it lol.

In my "show" tank (really just my largest ATM) I have five species of large showy roaches. Discoids, death heads, peppered, rothi, and dubia. They comingle very well and are breeding just fine. They like to sit under the red bulb lamps so they are almost always out in the open...well the adults anyway, nymphs and whatnot stay hidden in the substrate well.

Because of the size of your tank I think most Blaberus or Eublaberus fit the bill, but like suggested already, death heads (true death heads) are a great choice. Either that or a tank full of Hissers.

I think B. craniifer would suit your needs very well. Eublaberus is an interesting idea too, although I don't have any (yet) and so don't know how active they are.

Green banana roaches and firefly mimics with orangeheads!

The orangeheads will eat all the others.

If you wanted to recreate a Florida-esque environment, you could try P. nivea, P. australasiae, B. craniifer, B. discoidalis, E. floridana, and H. tenebricosa. I have a feeling that the last two would be outcompeted, though.

The orangeheads will eat all the others.

If you wanted to recreate a Florida-esque environment, you could try P. nivea, P. australasiae, B. craniifer, B. discoidalis, E. floridana, and H. tenebricosa. I have a feeling that the last two would be outcompeted, though.

Yeah but they'd breed enough, wouldn't they?

That sounds like a good idea!

Decided to try all of them. Do discoids and deaths heads interbreed? Think I will keep separate cultures incase of decimation it will be a good experiment. My orangeheads get fed a lot of protein already even though it increases the smell lots of oranges and apples help. My major fear is crossbreeding species something I'm not interested in. Have overlooked peppered roaches until I posted this thread, now want a naturalistic tank of them with some hardwood leaves that aren't all crushed up would really show their camouflage.

Decided to try all of them. Do discoids and deaths heads interbreed? Think I will keep separate cultures incase of decimation it will be a good experiment. My orangeheads get fed a lot of protein already even though it increases the smell lots of oranges and apples help. My major fear is crossbreeding species something I'm not interested in. Have overlooked peppered roaches until I posted this thread, now want a naturalistic tank of them with some hardwood leaves that aren't all crushed up would really show their camouflage.

Okay cool. Congrats.

Yes they have a (small) chance at interbreeding....

Discoids and death heads can mate but they cannot have offspring. That's the only reason mine are in the enclosure together. If there were fusca or giganteus I would say "do not" because they are more similar in reproductive parts. Zephyr posted a great link on a Blaberus species cross breeding experiment a while back, search for it... I'm on my phone otherwise I would for you, lol.

Discoids and death heads can mate but they cannot have offspring. That's the only reason mine are in the enclosure together. If there were fusca or giganteus I would say "do not" because they are more similar in reproductive parts. Zephyr posted a great link on a Blaberus species cross breeding experiment a while back, search for it... I'm on my phone otherwise I would for you, lol.

Very interesting. Well considering these ideas, the amount of tanks I really need is greatly reduced. Plus they will all be show tanks this is great. Thanks everybody!

I think the best display would probably be a tank full of Eurycotis decipiens. The adults are sharp and most importantly they commonly sit out on top of the decorations. There are prettier and bigger species but nearly all hide or dig in the substrate. Tiger hissers also look great but it would take longer to get enough going for a quality display.

I think the best display would probably be a tank full of Eurycotis decipiens. The adults are sharp and most importantly they commonly sit out on top of the decorations. There are prettier and bigger species but nearly all hide or dig in the substrate. Tiger hissers also look great but it would take longer to get enough going for a quality display.

You read my mind. Going to start small breeder colonies of both these species. Hadn't considered multiple species tanks until now but this is going to save lots of money and space. Gives me the opportunity to have plenty of show tanks. "SHOW TANK" makes me laugh bet us roach enthusiasts are rarer then Macropanesthia rhinoceros in America.

Here's what I'm working on. Have to place order then can take pics. One 55 gl show tank for blaberus giganteus, 40long dubias,peppered,rothi,dicoids, and deathhead., 30tall with tall decorations for eurycotis decipens. After mardi gras 55gl p.nivea,flyfly mimic, and Australian, then also want a show tank of tigers and a separate of eliptorhina javanica. Thanks for everybodies comments. Lead me in the right direction. Excited to show some results!

Here's what I'm working on. Have to place order then can take pics. One 55 gl show tank for blaberus giganteus, 40long dubias,peppered,rothi,dicoids, and deathhead., 30tall with tall decorations for eurycotis decipens. After mardi gras 55gl p.nivea,flyfly mimic, and Australian, then also want a show tank of tigers and a separate of eliptorhina javanica. Thanks for everybodies comments. Lead me in the right direction. Excited to show some results!

Wow! Good luck :)

• 1 month later...

Here's what's started: 55L dubias,bolivenis,eublaberus"ivory". Going to add rothi, any other ideas to spice it up? 40tall lots of hanging plants gigantens and l.verrucosa seem to be fine together. 30tall heavy planted e.decipens,40L e. Javanica. These are my naturalistic show tanks. Sorry about delay on pics :(