Active Feeder Roach?

Filosofine

Hi everybody :D

I just wanted to hear if anyone could help me find a great feeder roach :)

It's for my Yemen Chameleon and it has to be one that is active at day. Is that possible to find? And one that dosn't just hide :unsure:

At the moment i'm breeding Blaptica Dubia, but the chameleon dosn't wan't them anymore. They just hide and only come out when she sleeps :huh:

I really hope some of you can help me. Thank you very much in advance :P

Best regards

Filosofine

Have you tried using a feeder dish? I've kept and bred chameleons for a number of years and have fed them strictly roaches but they always get a feeder dish (except babies that are in tubs or plastic cages). Once you have the feed dish somewhere the lizard can get to easily from the top your pet will quickly learn to run over and snatch up food as soon as it goes in.

Hi Orin.

Thank you very much for you reply :D

Yes I used a dish for the roaches in the beginning, but suddenly she didn't wan't to eat them anymore. Then she got them directly in the terrarium and I think that was more exciting for her. But that didn't last long unfurtunatly.

She likes the things she can catch for herself I think :unsure::rolleyes:

Although quite A bit smaller than Blaptica dubia roaches, Blatta (Shelfordella) lateralis make a fantastic and prolific feeder. The females can't fly and males tend not to, plus neither can climb. They are VERY active at all times of the day and night. Did I mention they are prolific?

PS: Prolific

ChadMLane: Thank you very much for your reply :D If they can fly, that would just be great for the chameleon I think. I don't know how I would handle them though :unsure::lol: But I guess I would have to find out :rolleyes:

vfox: Thank you very much :D

If they are so active and especially in the daytime, I think it would be okay for her if they couldn't climb or fly. Do you know if they would dig and hide in the substrate?

LOL yes you did mention they were prolific :lol: And i'm sure I would have gotten your point, if just I knew what 'Prolific' meant :blink::P *GGg*

Could you please enlighten me? :D I tried looking the word up, and the translator told me it was another word for 'lush'? :unsure:

ChadMLane: Thank you very much for your reply :D If they can fly, that would just be great for the chameleon I think. I don't know how I would handle them though :unsure::lol: But I guess I would have to find out :rolleyes:

vfox: Thank you very much :D

If they are so active and especially in the daytime, I think it would be okay for her if they couldn't climb or fly. Do you know if they would dig and hide in the substrate?

LOL yes you did mention they were prolific :lol: And i'm sure I would have gotten your point, if just I knew what 'Prolific' meant :blink::P *GGg*

Could you please enlighten me? :D I tried looking the word up, and the translator told me it was another word for 'lush'? :unsure:

Your translator is not really correct, hmm.

Prolific basically means they breed really well and at a high rate of speed. I started before winter with 100 mixed and now I have well over 1000 with their numbers climbing every day. They don't really dig into the substrate either, I keep mine on coconut fiber and they always just sit on top. I've never had to dig for one.

• 4 weeks later...

Not to take this off topic, but would the lateralis be good for feeding Leopard Geckos? I have a young one and I am looking for something for him.

I think they would. I was going to get a leopard to feed mine to but now im thinking of getting a beardie. The lats are small when born, just about as small as baby crickets...the adults would feed an adult leopard well, they are about an inch long at most. They don't burrow and can't climb or fly (males can occasionally flutter but not really fly) and are very active.

Not to take this off topic, but would the lateralis be good for feeding Leopard Geckos? I have a young one and I am looking for something for him.

They were my leos' favorite food until my colony died down (it was my fault, though).

Thank you. Sounds like I need to find a source for some of those as well. I have only one Leo so either I need to filter out the tiny dubias (when I get a starter set :) for him, or start lateralis too.

• 8 months later...