Supplier of Oak Leaves?

I have been reading about how much roaches enjoy dry oak leaf litter. I have a few questions about this:

(1) Will just rinsing in water remove any possible pesticide residue?

(2) Are there any on-line sources for pesticide-free dead oak leaves?

I know it sounds funny to want to buy dead oak leaves, but in my area I don't think oak trees are easy to find.

I do have some relatives in Missouri I could contact probably, but I want to make sure I'd be able to remove

any pesticides.

I have a ton of Oak in my yard, that I know is not sprayed. I plan on collecting this fall. I will offer it to people who need it then. I could mail you leaves now, but they would be green, and you would have to dry them. But I would be happy to do that for you. Small fee plus s&h. Let me know if you would like me to do this.

Thanks, Cindy! That would be awesome! I would gladly trade some of my dollars for your efforts :) I will wait until fall for the dead ones since I read those are best. If you ever need some authentic blowing sand from the desert southwest just let me know - hahaha!

Thanks, Cindy! That would be awesome! I would gladly trade some of my dollars for your efforts :) I will wait until fall for the dead ones since I read those are best. If you ever need some authentic blowing sand from the desert southwest just let me know - hahaha!

Wow.. well, I don't know about the sand! lol...I am going to go out today and see if I can find some leaves left from last fall. That is what I used this summer, and I am sure there are more out there to be found. If I can get a bunch, I will let you know so you have some right away. I am surrounded by trees, and have many varietys. I have a magnolia tree that is good too. I can't wait till fall! :) Let me see what I can find, I will let ya know.

I have oak leaves available year-round, freshest in November (dead/dry) but otherwise perfect for bugs. They come from a 'wild' area not close to anyones house, field, or runoff.

Oh good! Matt has some too! I just walked around outside, and found a ton of leaves from last fall that I didn't even know about! :) I am going to rake them up now.

I live in the country so they are fine, like Matt said, no run off or neighbors that spray. I trust that they are pesticide free also.

Hi Nancy. I live here in NM as well, I think we have talked on AB before. I usually take a drive up to Torreon or in that general area and collect oak leaves. My roaches also will eat cottonwood leaves and mulberry leaves. I generally wash them and then let them dry outside for a while. I then bake them. The oak leaves I get I dont have to worry about.

I have a lot of success with both "oak leaf mold" bought from the local garden supply store (great for "capping" in ground plantings) and oak leaves that I have collected just around my area. I doubt pesticides are something to be concerned over if you let the leaves start to decay and decompose to the point at which roaches seem to prefer them anyway.

I collected oak leaves from a local park that is probably sprayed for bugs at least once a year. I let the leaves age in my garage one winter before using them, and after that I started using them extensively. I have two bags stored up and one bag from 4 years ago that I've yet to run out of. No weird deaths in any of my colonies, etc.

Hi Nancy. I haven't tried it personally but I think you can leave the oak leaves submerged in a pail or basin full of water for 1-2 days maybe and then dry them under the sun. Just an idea though.

If you still want some leaves, I processed a bit of them today.. double baked! I don't have much, as 3 shopping bags only made a little under 2 pounds but if you would like some, let me know. They are very clean, I picked out all stems and sticks and hand crushed them. All my gang got new stash tonight! My house smells like a campfire... B)

@ Alex- when I have been in the tropics and have seen a papaya or guava tree, there are always lots of insects in the dead leaves below and always some type of roach or more.

Matt I know exactly what you mean..In south florida papaya is heavily sprayed with insecticides since everything eats it...A few years ago I went to costa rica and walked thru tortugero the tour guide told us that papaya and its cousins are considered the mc donalds of the forest.

Cindy, thanks for the oak leaves!! My hissers are really happy and munching on them already :D I appreciate your effort and can't believe they got here so soon :) You're the best!