Blaberus Hybrids?

Zander

I have heard about all these blaberus hybrids that everyone hates and came across someone saying that they reproduce faster and are usually larger. So, compared to purebred blaberus species what is the difference in size and reproduction? I was thinking of maybe starting a small culture of them to only feed to my bearded dragons, so that's why I'm asking.

There used to be craniifer x fusca hybrids but these have very high mortality rates and I don't think they're around anymore. Fusca x peruvianus (if we accept the validity of both species) is the common cross currently apparently.

I might have had the first hybrids, they were from James at blaberus.com here was a thread on it with photos http://www.roachforum.com/index.php?showtopic=3742&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

I might have had the first hybrids, they were from James at blaberus.com here was a thread on it with photos http://www.roachforu...l=&fromsearch=1

Richie the Roachman was the one who made the original hybrids that people have traded since around 1999. He put some B.craniifer from old USA stock with something he got from Europe that came from South America somewhere and instead of cleaning up his mistake he mailed them out to everybody as pure B. craniifer. Of course when they started maturing people were asking why they didn't look quite right. That is where James' came from.

Richie the Roachman was the one who made the original hybrids that people have traded since around 1999. He put some B.craniifer from old USA stock with something he got from Europe that came from South America somewhere and instead of cleaning up his mistake he mailed them out to everybody as pure B. craniifer. Of course when they started maturing people were asking why they didn't look quite right. That is where James' came from.

If I did have a hybrid from this stock, it was VERY healthy and lived very long, it was healthier than the pure stock, in my opinion the hybrids were better I'm sorry they aren't sold anymore I wanted more!

This video shows the pure stock my dark roach was mixed in with by accident, these barely lived a year after maturing, were lighter and smaller both in weight and length.

I have some roaches that are not right.

I got them in with some that were supposed to be Blaberus discoidalis. They look very much like Blaberus craniifer, with black wings and a little red face on the black part of the pronotum. On some of these roaches, parts of the "face" are not present.

The thing is that they are almost twice the size of Blaberus craniifer, length wise. I am not sure if they are breeding, but they have been in my feeder colony for quite a while. They are very pretty roaches.

If I did have a hybrid from this stock, it was VERY healthy and lived very long, it was healthier than the pure stock....

Such longevity was never reported with the hybrids so it's likely you just had a very odd individual or/and unusual circumstances.

I have some roaches that are not right.

I got them in with some that were supposed to be Blaberus discoidalis. They look very much like Blaberus craniifer, with black wings and a little red face on the black part of the pronotum. On some of these roaches, parts of the "face" are not present.

The thing is that they are almost twice the size of Blaberus craniifer, length wise. I am not sure if they are breeding, but they have been in my feeder colony for quite a while. They are very pretty roaches.

If they were twice the length of B. craniifer they'd be more than an inch longer than B. giganteus which is highly improbable. Do you have some photos?