Help im over run!

IV had a nice reptile room set up for about 2 year now and am started to get infested with roaches. One I know is the palmetto bugs big fling roaches but its looking like iv got 2 more I cant figure out what they are. Anyway does anyone have any fool proof ways of catching or killing these roaches without hurting my frogs and plants. Here's a video of my reptile room and some pictures of the roaches.

roach004_zpsfb0d0cd1.jpg

roach002_zps021011d4.jpg

roach001_zps928378a4.jpg

i'm saying

pic 1 is surinam roach (Pycnoscelus surinamensis) adult

pic 2-3 australian roach (Periplaneta australasiae) nymphs

they might have come in with all those awesome plants (roaches love green houses).

as far as catching/killing, they are most likely in most of your cages (which are perfect roach breeding grounds) if they have had time to breed.

if you have a parent or spouse i would start with damage control. a little weather stripping and a door sweep will help isolate the room so none escape. also some mesh over air vents.

but i really don't have a sure fire way to eradicate them without harming the frogs, plants, and whatever else you've got there.

They are in all of the tanks they seem to be able to pass to any tank they want as babies. They dont seem to leave the tanks though So im not too worried about them getting out. Is there any way to bait the adults into a trap. Iv been killing babies with shallow cups of repasy crested gecko diet they cant seem to resist and drown in the mix. I catch probly around 100 in 3 days of the cups being there and they dont seem to be slowing down.

If the surinamensis are in the terrariums, then they'll probably always be in there. Good thing is they're not really that "pesty" of roaches, they just proliferate in greenhouses and terrariums. The australians, on the other hand, can become more a of a pest, though they still need a great deal of heat and humidity to really thrive. Also, they're probably what you're finding as "palmetto bugs," the pics you posted are just them as nymphs. Frankly, both make decent feeder roaches, so you might just want to keep them as frog food, since there is really no way to get rid of them all without completely dismantling your terrariums.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

IV had a nice reptile room set up for about 2 year now and am started to get infested with roaches. One I know is the palmetto bugs big fling roaches but its looking like iv got 2 more I cant figure out what they are. Anyway does anyone have any fool proof ways of catching or killing these roaches without hurting my frogs and plants. Here's a video of my reptile room and some pictures of the roaches.

roach004_zpsfb0d0cd1.jpg

roach002_zps021011d4.jpg

roach001_zps928378a4.jpg

A humane way is to suck them up with a hand vaccuum cleaner and then release them into parks, woods, and other natural habitat. I'm serious about this, if you do catch any live send, you can them to me Jeffrey Juli P.O. Box 154 Auburn, NY 13021. I'll keep them in an aquarium. The mini-vacs will get them out of your tanks and your reptiles should be too large to be affected by the suction. Also, I've read a list of roach-repellents including cucumber peel, blackling oil, lavender, citronella. I love roaches too much to give killing tips.

My advice?

Make some money and sell them on the Forum! If you have to catch them anyway - why not make some $$$? That surinam roach (Pycnoscelus surinamensis) is BEAUTIFUL!

There's a place on the forum where you can post roaches for sale. You can also get plenty of advice here on shipping them safely.

Good luck :)

Artbug, your advice is better than mine lol. Do that if you can. If you're the sort of person who just wants to kill them, the tape would probably work. Or, even better, catch what you can to sell here, then use the tape to make sure you got them all. Maybe put honey above the tape as a lure.

roach004_zpsfb0d0cd1.jpg

roach002_zps021011d4.jpg

roach001_zps928378a4.jpg

One thing I forgot to mention yesterday is if you catch any and send them to me, I'll pay the shipping cost as well as for the roaches and any other fees you want. I value each roach as an individual and do what I can to save any that are in danger. The red one you showed is beautiful. Plus their wavy antennae, gentle disposition, etc. I read Artbug's comment above, her and I are on the same wavelength. Please consider taking our advice. Thank you.