Cool cockroach size comparison chart (not to scale)

They are missing quite a few of the larger species, G oblongonata is larger than P vanweirbecki and they are forgetting flat horn Hisser and Australian burrowing cockroach.

I think the chart was just made to show a variety of cockroaches and their sizes (not focusing on one type in particular). I agree they should have added the Australian burrowing cockroach.

Pretty species all of them. I was hoping they would compare the common ones also like German, American, Oriental, and Brown Banded. American are obviously larger than German and Oriental are just slightly smaller than American. Brown Banded I believe are small like German. Correct? And UGH what are those hideous tarrantulas doing in there? It creeped me right off the page!!

Pretty species all of them. I was hoping they would compare the common ones also like German, American, Oriental, and Brown Banded. American are obviously larger than German and Oriental are just slightly smaller than American. Brown Banded I believe are small like German. Correct? And UGH what are those hideous tarrantulas doing in there? It creeped me right off the page!!

Yes I believe the brown banded are small like the German. I'm not sure about the tarantulas though. I can't read anything on the forum :)

Here is a chart comparing the species that you wanted to see.

Scroll down to figure 4.7

http://www.cdc.gov/n...igure_cha04.htm

It appears the Brown banded is smaller than the German.

That "size" chart is bit of tomfoolery, apparently they really like "Princisia" and Panchlora nivea to make them appear bigger than they really are, but to be fair it does not claim the images are representative of actual size.

The person who made the chart might have accidentally thought the Panchlora sp. "Giant" was Panchlora nivea, so he labeled it as Panchlora nivea. I haven't had any experience with Princisia, but I thought it was strange that it was larger than the Blaberus giganteus.

That "size" chart is bit of tomfoolery, apparently they really like "Princisia" and Panchlora nivea to make them appear bigger than they really are, but to be fair it does not claim the images are representative of actual size.

Looks about right to me. These are my hybrids (which could possibly be Princisia) with a Giant Cave. I could do comparisons with Giant Peppereds and Halloweens as well. :)

princave.jpg

Looks about right to me. These are my hybrids (which could possibly be Princisia) with a Giant Cave. I could do comparisons with Giant Peppereds and Halloweens as well. :)

It looks like you picked out a small male gigantea (some might call that cheating) and your hyrid stock are an unusual one which may grow bigger than the one in that combo photo. I am quite familiar with your stock and it does throw some amazing males now and then. Let's see some vernier calipers on those specimens. Absolute size measurements using measuring devices are the best way to convey size and I am curious how big the male on the right actually is.

Most of them are sort of right but that combo photo is just a bunch of photos pasted together and there is no accuracy claim made. Some of the species on that size compare are either wrong or compare different genders (I'm sure you know females of many species can be much larger than males of the same species). Do you have a photo of a javanica bigger than a portentosa?

They are just a bunch of photos pasted together which if you've ever done it you'd know it's not easy to do perfectly and specimens vary but there was little effort (if any) by this person to make it accurate.

Yes you are right. After translating half the forum, the person who posted the chart on there said that it was just a practice and it was off scale (3rd comment from the bottom). I printed out a copy of the chart to use as a poster. I guess it's going in the paper shredder now :) .

It looks like you picked out a small male gigantea (some might call that cheating) and your hyrid stock are an unusual one which may grow bigger than the one in that combo photo. I am quite familiar with your stock and it does throw some amazing males now and then. Let's see some vernier calipers on those specimens. Absolute size measurements using measuring devices are the best way to convey size and I am curious how big the male on the right actually is.

Most of them are sort of right but that combo photo is just a bunch of photos pasted together and there is no accuracy claim made. Some of the species on that size compare are either wrong or compare different genders (I'm sure you know females of many species can be much larger than males of the same species). Do you have a photo of a javanica bigger than a portentosa?

I do need to figure how to take photos while getting them to sit still while using my only pair of mini 4" calipers. :lol: They are extremely ornery and hard to wrangle by myself which is why it's not been done yet. ;)

Honestly, I had the lights off and was using a dim red flashlight to set them up so they wouldn't spook, so I have no idea what the Cave is. But I did feel around first for an "average" sized one to do the comparison shot. With it not having major wing damage it's probably a smaller female as all my males look like crap and all the big females have bent wing tips.

How big do portentosa average? That is one species I don't have and can't get soon so I have no personal reference. Some of my largest javanicas are easily three inches when they climb the glass. I actually thought the other day that one of the adult oblongonotas females had gotten into their tank when a huge one was plastered at the front, but it turned out to be a big male. I'm not sure if that's normal or not for the Halloweens though. Been forgetting to ask that! :)

I do need to figure how to take photos while getting them to sit still while using my only pair of mini 4" calipers. :lol:

How big do portentosa average?

I have posted a few photos here with specimens between calipers; with one hisser it's usually quite easy. There are two primary hisser stocks, the smaller is twice the mass of javanica (notwithstanding enlongate specimens) and the larger gets very close to the size of the hybrids you have. Of course there is a ton of variation within a single, large culture.