Do peppered roaches need soil?

The nymphs are burrowers so a thick layer of substrate would be nice. Substrate can also hold moisture so adults have a better chance to molt properly.

You can try to keep them without substrate though, it's an easy species and they'll probably be fine. I don't have any substrate for my B. craniifer colony and they're doing well any way.

• 2 weeks later...

I've kept mine in a thin substrate of shredder paper, and occasionally just a layer or two of newspaper and they seem to do just fine, as long as they have hiding places.

are they pets or feeders...

the reason I ask is my pet roaches all have substrate and as natural of an enviroment as I can match. the dubia I keep are feeder insects and honestly there are about 500 of them or so at any given time and cleaning would be a nightmare.

do your pet roaches need substrate? yeah why not, while of course they will get along without it, to me it always looks better for a roach im tryin to view, photograph, or enjoy to have as natural as an environment as I can create.

Not to stray off topic but, I am currently looking for peppered roaches feel free to hit me up if you have too many...

• 2 weeks later...