Is it normal...

Is it normal to want every single roach I see? I love and appreciate the species I have, I look at them every day and hold several species quite often, but I always seem to want more! Every time I see new roach species I think to myself "yep, I want that species, and that one, ooh, I want that one too!". Does this happen to you guys too, or am I just thinking greedily?

they are addictive! i just started keeping 2 mo. ago and have 6 species already. only thing limiting me is space as I'm in a trailer. ;)

Same with me. I'm fighting the desire at the moment. I told my parents I was getting rid of ALL my roaches, but have not yet. It was actually my idea of getting rid of most of them (stress the "most of them"). Plus they are so convenient to have around as feeders for things that eat a lot. :( In my opinion they are not that bad for your health, except in allergic people, and when people keep them in bad conditions with mold growing and few springtails, and no airing out of the room often.

I got my first species in November. The only reason why I only have 2 species is my attempts to acquire more have been thwarted. Unanswered address requests, lack of desired species or misrepresentation of available stock. The fact that you can keep the smaller species in small containers is a big attraction.

Why are the coolest looking species always climbers/good escape artists?

I know right? I really want some of the roly-poly roaches, but they are small and even the nymphs can climb, I have a feeling I would have a lot of escapees!

I like that actually.

All but a few of my species are climbers. I don't really have a problem with it, it's just nice setting up something like a blaberus, not having to worry about how tight the lid is or messing with petroleum jelly. Small price to pay though I guess, since there's so many beautiful climbers.

Gonna say normal.

I'm probably the odd one out, the only other species I have interest in besides my G. oblongonota are E. chopardi and (of course) M. rhinoceros. One can dream on the latter. :P

Gonna say normal.

I'm probably the odd one out, the only other species I have interest in besides my G. oblongonota are E. chopardi and (of course) M. rhinoceros. One can dream on the latter. :P

Haha yep, one can dream! :P Though more people seemed to be selling them this past year, and the prices weren't too expensive, ($250 for a small pair seems reasonable to me). The more people keep and breed this species, the lower the prices will get.

Haha yep, one can dream! :P Though more people seemed to be selling them this past year, and the prices weren't too expensive, ($250 for a small pair seems reasonable to me). The more people keep and breed this species, the lower the prices will get.

Wow! Truth be told, I'd shell out $200 or so for a sub-adult pair no problem! I'll wait a couple years and see where the species is at in the hobby I suppose.

Wow! Truth be told, I'd shell out $200 or so for a sub-adult pair no problem! I'll wait a couple years and see where the species is at in the hobby I suppose.

Well they weren't subadult, they were all small nymphs, an inch or so long. Still a good price IMO.

Well they weren't subadult, they were all small nymphs, an inch or so long. Still a good price IMO.

Then you'd have them even longer and watch them grow! Much better imo. Maybe I'll shell out some for my Birthday in June... Super interested in them now. Biggest concern with nymphs would be their well-being, given the investment and all.

Roaches are cool is the point of all this. :P

They are easy to care for, give the nymphs a moist, shallow substrate, feed them dead hardwood leaves and the normal diet of dog food fruits and veggies, and wait five years!

And yes, roaches are awesome! :)

I am thinking the Kenyan is the next species on my list. Although I am very interested to see the 30 new species roach crossing is adding "soon".

Me too, I have Christmas money just waiting around for the new species, I was hoping he would do another new year's update. :(