Will This Work?

CJay

Hello! I'm brand new to this forum so I may not be asking this right. I joined because a teacher at my school is giving away Madagascar Hissers. I'd really like one but I don't have the money for any special products.

So, my first questions are on the enclosure and substrate.

1. What's the minimum size tank/enclosure for an adult male?

I have an old plastic half gallon betta tank that I use for water changes only. It has a plastic cover. L = 9", H = 5", W = 3". Is this big enough or would I have to make something bigger?

2. Will Carefresh small animal bedding and/or boiled leaves be safe for Substrate?

I have a rabbit and a gerbil that both use Carefresh. Would it be safe for cockroaches? It's supposed to be paper based. Or would I have to buy roach bedding? Is it safe to boil leaves to put in there? If it is, are there any recommended types? Also, is any type of paper safe? Maybe notebook or printer? Lastly, what about hay? Timothy hay would be a last resort, but I'd like to know if it's safe.

3. Should I get an adult or a nymph?

I kind of want an adult but I don't know they're exact age.

4.I heard that they can eat dry dog/cat food. What about rabbit pellets? Is that safe?

Thank you very much in advance. :)

Hello! I'm brand new to this forum so I may not be asking this right. I joined because a teacher at my school is giving away Madagascar Hissers. I'd really like one but I don't have the money for any special products.

So, my first questions are on the enclosure and substrate.

1. What's the minimum size tank/enclosure for an adult male?

I have an old plastic half gallon betta tank that I use for water changes only. It has a plastic cover. L = 9", H = 5", W = 3". Is this big enough or would I have to make something bigger?

2. Will Carefresh small animal bedding and/or boiled leaves be safe for Substrate?

I have a rabbit and a gerbil that both use Carefresh. Would it be safe for cockroaches? It's supposed to be paper based. Or would I have to buy roach bedding? Is it safe to boil leaves to put in there? If it is, are there any recommended types? Also, is any type of paper safe? Maybe notebook or printer? Lastly, what about hay? Timothy hay would be a last resort, but I'd like to know if it's safe.

3. Should I get an adult or a nymph?

I kind of want an adult but I don't know they're exact age.

4.I heard that they can eat dry dog/cat food. What about rabbit pellets? Is that safe?

Thank you very much in advance. :)

That's awesome that someone's giving away hissers at your school!

Now to answer your questions.

1.That would be large enough for an adult male. If the lid isn't secure then your going to want to apply some Vaseline around the top of the inside of the container so there is no chance of it escaping.

2.A good substrate for hissers and almost all other roaches is coconut fiber, which is pretty cheap and can be found at most local pet stores. However, the bedding should be safe. The leaves would have to be from hardwood trees and dead for them to be usable as substrate, sterilizing is also highly recommended, ways of sterilizing would include boiling( as you mentioned) or microwaving them for about 3-5 minutes. Any type of paper should be fine, but it should be shredded up. The hay would probably also be ok. The best option out of the things you listed would be leaves( if they are dead and from hardwood trees), but the overall best option would be coconut fiber.

3.It depends, if you get an adult it will already be large but would have an indefinite remaining life span, if you get a nymph it would take a little time to grow but it would live longer in your care. I personally like raising invertebrates from nymphs, since you get to observe it grow and the different stages in it's live.

4. I wouldn't feed them rabbit pellets, dog food or fish food pellets are a great food for them along with fruits and vegetables.

That's awesome that someone's giving away hissers at your school!

Now to answer your questions.

1.That would be large enough for an adult male. If the lid isn't secure then your going to want to apply some Vaseline around the top of the inside of the container so there is no chance of it escaping.

2.A good substrate for hissers and almost all other roaches is coconut fiber, which is pretty cheap and can be found at most local pet stores. However, the bedding should be safe. The leaves would have to be from hardwood trees and dead for them to be usable as substrate, sterilizing is also highly recommended, ways of sterilizing would include boiling( as you mentioned) or microwaving them for about 3-5 minutes. Any type of paper should be fine, but it should be shredded up. The hay would probably also be ok. The best option out of the things you listed would be leaves( if they are dead and from hardwood trees), but the overall best option would be coconut fiber.

3.It depends, if you get an adult it will already be large but would have an indefinite remaining life span, if you get a nymph it would take a little time to grow but it would live longer in your care. I personally like raising invertebrates from nymphs, since you get to observe it grow and the different stages in it's live.

4. I wouldn't feed them rabbit pellets, dog food or fish food pellets are a great food for them along with fruits and vegetables.

Thank you so much! I will definitely put my best efforts into this. Unfortunately, I have no ride to the pet store until after I get them, so they would be in a temporary set up. I don't have a dog at my main residence, so I'll have to use fish food. Will betta pellets work? Would I have to soak them in water first? If not I also have tropical fish flakes, betta granules, bottom feeder shrimp pellets, freeze dried bloodworms, freeze dried brine shrimp, and Hikari algae wafers. Do you know if any of these would work?

No problem. :) Glad that you will put effort into it, that's necessary in any caring pet owner. :)

The tropical fish flakes, betta food, and bottom feeder shrimp pellets will work great.

No problem. :) Glad that you will put effort into it, that's necessary in any caring pet owner. :)

The tropical fish flakes, betta food, and bottom feeder shrimp pellets will work great.

Awesome, thanks again. This is great to know, as I actually have a bit of an overabundance of fish food. Anyway, I hope you have a great rest of your night and wish you the very best. :)

Awesome, thanks again. This is great to know, as I actually have a bit of an overabundance of fish food. Anyway, I hope you have a great rest of your night and wish you the very best. :)

Thanks, you too! :)

Like Allaboutinsects said, coconut fiber is the best substrate for these, I think it'd be a little hard for him to move around on the substrate if it were made of paper shreds, unless they were shred very finely.

Alos, the fish pellets don't have to be soaked, they can eat them dry just fine.

Like Allaboutinsects said, coconut fiber is the best substrate for these, I think it'd be a little hard for him to move around on the substrate if it were made of paper shreds, unless they were shred very finely.

Alos, the fish pellets don't have to be soaked, they can eat them dry just fine.

Forgot to add the last part, thanks for replying on that point. :)

One hisser will eat hardly anything. A few flakes would last for days. Put the flakes in a plastic lid so they stay dry. I like to spray a little water on the side of the container in the evening for them to drink. Also a shallow lid with aquarium gravel does good for a water dish. But the don't really need one with misting.

Thanks everyone. :) I'll be riding bike to the pet shop today, no matter how far or cold it is. I only have a couple spare bucks so I'm hoping I'll be able to afford it. If I can't I'll just have to use a substitute until next week. Otherwise, I will get the right things. I'd hate my little buddy to be uncomfortable.

• Like 1