What do you feed your hissers? (+Food questions)

noivurn

Hello again! 

I'm trying to figure out what works best for me as a 'base' food for my roaches (G. portentosa)- ie., non-fresh/scrap foods. I'm currently using a mix of my mice pellets and cat food, but it keeps molding, and I don't really see the roaches eating it, and I think I've decided I don't like using solid foods like that as a base for the roaches. They're primarily pets, but I am planning on getting a mantis soon that I'll be feeding with the nymphs. 

I know that there's not going to be one "best" option that everyone agrees on, but I guess I'm just curious about what people personally think about the different options? 

I've been considering Bug Burger, and also saw on here that oatmeal has been used as a good protein base, which I was definitely interested in. I also found Jurassipet Jurassidiet on Petsmart's website which seems similar to Bug Burger. 

So, in everyone's opinions: 

• Is Bug Burger / Jurassidiet worth the price, or is oatmeal (or some other option) just as good? 
  • Are jelly cups a complete diet for roaches? (I would still be providing fruit/veg) 
  • If I did use oatmeal, is there a specific kind I should use? Is there a specific way to prepare it? 
  • Any other suggestions are extremely welcomed! 

Oh, and a secondary food question, while we're here - how much should I expect a single adult hisser to eat? I feel like I haven't really seen mine eating anything. I'm sure they are eating, since I've had them a few months and they seem fine, but I'm not used to not being able to see the food disappear. 

I'd really appreciate any discussion about what you feed, I'd love multiple opinions! I make my own mouse mix for my mice and I'm hoping to find a nice mix for the roaches as well! 

Bug burger is probably a bit more nutritional than just oats, but either could work for hissers. 

Jelly cups are not a complete diet for roaches, but can be offered instead of fruits from time to time, (actually fruits would probably be best though). 

@Homelander @Hisserdude Thank you so much for the tips! 😄

I ended up making my own roach chow based off of a few DIY recipes I found online, which so far is mouse/rat pellets, oats, and wheat crackers (generic Triscuits I think?), though I planned to add algae wafers (when I had a fish tank, I fed them to my snails), and dried fruits of some sort when I can get a hold of them. 

And I was also thinking of trying to make this gel food too. It's fun cooking for roaches - I don't have to worry about them not liking it lol 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 6/29/2020 at 3:16 AM, noivurn said:

Hello again! 

I'm trying to figure out what works best for me as a 'base' food for my roaches (G. portentosa)- ie., non-fresh/scrap foods. I'm currently using a mix of my mice pellets and cat food, but it keeps molding, and I don't really see the roaches eating it, and I think I've decided I don't like using solid foods like that as a base for the roaches. They're primarily pets, but I am planning on getting a mantis soon that I'll be feeding with the nymphs. 

I know that there's not going to be one "best" option that everyone agrees on, but I guess I'm just curious about what people personally think about the different options? 

I've been considering Bug Burger, and also saw on here that oatmeal has been used as a good protein base, which I was definitely interested in. I also found Jurassipet Jurassidiet on Petsmart's website which seems similar to Bug Burger. 

So, in everyone's opinions: 

• Is Bug Burger / Jurassidiet worth the price, or is oatmeal (or some other option) just as good? 
  • Are jelly cups a complete diet for roaches? (I would still be providing fruit/veg) 
  • If I did use oatmeal, is there a specific kind I should use? Is there a specific way to prepare it? 
  • Any other suggestions are extremely welcomed! 

Oh, and a secondary food question, while we're here - how much should I expect a single adult hisser to eat? I feel like I haven't really seen mine eating anything. I'm sure they are eating, since I've had them a few months and they seem fine, but I'm not used to not being able to see the food disappear. 

I'd really appreciate any discussion about what you feed, I'd love multiple opinions! I make my own mouse mix for my mice and I'm hoping to find a nice mix for the roaches as well! 

Hi 

My Madagascar hissers love fruity roach chow from a company called bugznbits and there website is bugznbits.co.uk or you can buy from eBay it’s quite cheap aswell mine love dandelion leaves when I put these in they’ve gone in seconds also coriander leaves and stem fruit wise they seem to love apple best of all but what I was thinking of doing is a fruit cocktail you know grate some sweet potato, apple, coriander leaves chopped, grated carrot and just see what’s left if anything at least then by giving them a mixture they can pick for themselves what they like and then you’ll know I haven’t fed any kind of fish food to mine but I’m thinking of trying it or pond sticks I’ve heard of for protein I’ve tried mine with ground dry dog food and they positively won’t touch it perhaps it’s the brand (lol)😊 from Karen 

• 1 month later...

I really only use jelly cups as a source of extra moisture.  Otherwise, I provide fruits and veg along with fish food that they really seem to like.  They don't seem to eat much, but I'll find hidden fish food from time-to-time. :)

• 3 months later...

well, my hissers live together with my hermit crabs, along with dubias and buffalo beetles/buffalo beetle larvae (as a cleaner crew). so, that being said i feed a wide variety of different things. I actually enjoy prepared their dishes for them, and usually feed a variety of minimally processed, table- salt free (sea salt and Himalayan pink salt is fine), and organic (to avoid insecticides, which would obviously not be good for roaches, witch are an insect, duh) foods including hermit crab food, meats, fruits, vegetables, nuts and nut butters, seeds, legumes, grains, calcium fortified insect jelly, and calcium powder to dust food with. I hope this helps! (p.s. also honey as a treat)