General discussion about availability:

Matt K

***Just a thought. There ought to be some way to centralize a list of what species are actually in U.S. domestic cultures, and which ones may be available. Not that everyone needs to chime in with thier own inventory list, but if there was some way to add species to a community list, even anonymously, so that we can all see what is actualy "out there" in present day. This way we know what is in domestic culture, and if you wanted to obtain a species you could post in a way where individuals supply listed dealers, and then anyone can buy whatever from the dealer.

I dunno. Just me thinking out loud. Pros and Cons to this I am sure.....

P.s.- By the way, you could post on here how many species/varieties you have if we all wanted to get an idea of who does what.

Hi Matt,

I like the idea of this and can think of a bunch of different ways to set it up immediately. However, I'm not sure anybody would really want this information available to the public for several reasons. I tend to believe that the people that want their stocklists to be known would post it in the Ad Listings section, either for sale or exchange. However, if lots of people with "inventories" think this would be a useful tool for the community and one they would want to participate in, we'd be happy to facilitate the list. Just start a petition, right here!

I do agree that an anonymous list would be quite interesting and I would be happy to compile and disperse such a list on behalf of hobbyists. For each species, we could list how many active cultures are known in captivity (US and World?). We would have to set some guidelines for how many individual roaches a viable culture consists of, etc. Such a discussion would be interesting unto itself!

Peter

Ok, I agree with what you have here. But I think what I was getting at is something like the BCG list only for the U.S. and not including or comparitive to Europe (BCG) as we all know importation is highly restricted...

So say for example, users could go to this BCG America list and anonymously add a species they keep, and rate the culture as Tenative (no reproduction yet) Pending (have had thier first nymphs) or Established (2nd generation nymphs or more) or Lost (culture died off). This way any hobbiest can *know* what is out there, and can post a WTB (want to buy) ad to see if someones selling, OR next to the species roach dealers can add thier contact to the list as a known dealer for that species.

But I don't know....maybe this is all impracticle and the discussion dies on the table here..... I am handicapped because I don't know enough about how this would get set up or organized to make work without it being a big fiasco. But it does seem like an interesting concept....

Hi Matt,

I like the idea of this and can think of a bunch of different ways to set it up immediately. However, I'm not sure anybody would really want this information available to the public for several reasons. I tend to believe that the people that want their stocklists to be known would post it in the Ad Listings section, either for sale or exchange. However, if lots of people with "inventories" think this would be a useful tool for the community and one they would want to participate in, we'd be happy to facilitate the list. Just start a petition, right here!

I do agree that an anonymous list would be quite interesting and I would be happy to compile and disperse such a list on behalf of hobbyists. For each species, we could list how many active cultures are known in captivity (US and World?). We would have to set some guidelines for how many individual roaches a viable culture consists of, etc. Such a discussion would be interesting unto itself!

Peter

I think it would be interesting to see what's out there. If enough people will actually use it, I think it's definately a good idea. But if too few people use it, the work to get it up and running will have been done for nothing. Tough call.

It wouldn't be much work at all. The question is whether or not more than 3 people in the roach community want this.

Peter

Please remember, I have creat the BCG list and the stock all over the world arelistet as we known. Also the US stock, japaneseand so one. It would be interesting if anybody help us to make an update, if we can get your your species list. it will be easy for us to give a short note, which once are in the states. it is one click in the database.

best regards

ingo

Please remember, I have creat the BCG list and the stock all over the world arelistet as we known. Also the US stock, japaneseand so one. It would be interesting if anybody help us to make an update, if we can get your your species list. it will be easy for us to give a short note, which once are in the states. it is one click in the database.

best regards

ingo

Well this sounds to be as thorough as it gets....a global list. Although I do think due to importantion restrictions it would be VERY helpful to know which ones are already in one's country and which ones are not.

thanks ingo.

• 3 years later...

Sorry to dig up such am old topic but I think it could use a fresh perspective.

I know some of us have over 50 species in culture and I recall at least one member being closer to 100. That being said, where can we find an active US culture listing? I'm not saying "tell me whatcha got" I'm saying "tell me what is currently known to be available in US breeding stock for PUBLIC consumption(purchase)" I'm aware certain facilities have exotics we cannot yet obtain, I'm not interested in them being listed, only what is available.

Sorry to dig up such am old topic but I think it could use a fresh perspective.

I know some of us have over 50 species in culture and I recall at least one member being closer to 100. That being said, where can we find an active US culture listing? I'm not saying "tell me whatcha got" I'm saying "tell me what is currently known to be available in US breeding stock for PUBLIC consumption(purchase)" I'm aware certain facilities have exotics we cannot yet obtain, I'm not interested in them being listed, only what is available.

+1

Okay so I will put down a preliminary list, please add to this as seen fit. (Kyle I stole most of this from your for sale listing, lol.) :)

Eurycotis decipiens

Therea petiveriana

Therea olegrandjeani

Hemiblabera tenebricosa

Elliptorhina chopardi

Elliptorhina javanica

Oxyhaloa duesta

Polyphaga aegyptiaca

Eublaberus sp. "Ivory/White"

Eublaberus posticus

Eublaberus distanti

Eurycotis floridana

Pycnoscelus surinamensis

Pycnoscelus femapterus

Pycnoscelus striatus

Pycnoscelus nigra

Gromphadorhina grandidieri "Tiger"

Gromphadorhina grandidieri "Black"

Gromphadorhina portentosa

Panchlora nivea

Panchlora sp. "Giant"

Aeluropoda insignis

Periplaneta australasiae

Periplaneta americana

Periplaneta americana "white eyes"

Periplaneta fuliginosa

Blattella germanica

Rhyparobia sp. "Malaysia"

Blaberus giganteus

Blaberus boliviensis

Blaberus discoidalis

Blaberus fusca

Blaberus collossus

Blaberus craniifer

Blaberus (hybrids of discoidisXboliviensis and craniiferXfusca among others)

Archimandrita tesselata

Nauphoeta cinerea

Gyna lurida

Gyna lurida "yellow"

"African Bullet Roach" (Genus/Species name?)

Henschoutedenia flexivitta

Byrsotria rothi

Byrsotria sp. "Cuba"

Schultesia lampyridiformis

Ergaula capucina

Rhyparobia madeira

Phoetalia pallida

Ophistoplatia orientalis

Deropeltis paulinoi

Parcoblatta pennsylvanica

Parcoblatta virginica

Supella longipalpa

Blatta (Shelfordella)lateralis

Blatta orientalis

I'm sure there are more I just can't think of them atm.

Just a few more to add off the top of my head...

Byrsotria sp. "Striped"

Eurycotis opaca "2"

Blaberus brasilianus

Blaberus "peruvianus"

Blaberus "craniifer European"

Blaberus anisitsi

Blaberus parabolicus (Hopefully, we'll know soon enough)

Gromphadorhina oblongonata

Paratemnopteryx couloniana

"Princisia vanwaerebeki"

"Princisia vanwaerebeki 'Big black'"

• 2 weeks later...