Stopping Escapees W/O Barriers or "Airtight" Containers

Hello everyone! 🙂

Over the years, I've struggled with containing climbing roaches. It seems like every barrier is climbable by some species or has longevity issues. The larger "airtight" containers like Sterilite Gasket Boxes, etc. basically always have some sort of gap around the rim that, as small as it may be, young nymphs can escape from. Not to mentioned that they are pricey compared to their non "airtight" counterparts and are offered in limited sizes.

So my question is - have any of you experimented with wrapping things around the tops of your containers to contain your climbing roaches? It seems like the perfect way to make any container escape-proof, but I have never heard of anything being used that was impervious to the possible gnawing of little roach jaws.

If you have any other effective containment methods, I'd be open to hearing about them as well!

Thanks for any input. 😄 

I was having issues with my P. pallida, at first I was only using vaseline but then I started using some window screen as a second "lid". The pliable nature of the screen seems to fill in any gaps in my container's lid(just a normal plastic tub full of plenty gaps). I do find some roaches on the roof of the screen(I just tap them off before removing the lid) but I'm no longer getting escapees. You can probably use any breathable fabric and adjust the thickness of the edge till gaps are filled. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/30/2021 at 11:27 PM, AmateurEntomologist said:

I was having issues with my P. pallida, at first I was only using vaseline but then I started using some window screen as a second "lid". The pliable nature of the screen seems to fill in any gaps in my container's lid(just a normal plastic tub full of plenty gaps). I do find some roaches on the roof of the screen(I just tap them off before removing the lid) but I'm no longer getting escapees. You can probably use any breathable fabric and adjust the thickness of the edge till gaps are filled. 

Thank you for sharing your experiences and suggestions! They are much appreciated. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2021 at 10:23 PM, All About Arthropods said:

Hello everyone! 🙂

Over the years, I've struggled with containing climbing roaches. It seems like every barrier is climbable by some species or has longevity issues. The larger "airtight" containers like Sterilite Gasket Boxes, etc. basically always have some sort of gap around the rim that, as small as it may be, young nymphs can escape from. Not to mentioned that they are pricey compared to their non "airtight" counterparts and are offered in limited sizes.

So my question is - have any of you experimented with wrapping things around the tops of your containers to contain your climbing roaches? It seems like the perfect way to make any container escape-proof, but I have never heard of anything being used that was impervious to the possible gnawing of little roach jaws.

If you have any other effective containment methods, I'd be open to hearing about them as well!

Thanks for any input. 😄 

It may seem odd but a lot of times I provide lots of hides and cork bark to discourage climbing out by the small nymphs. Usually if they feel comfortable, they won't have a need to get out of there but it's not fullproof. I use gaskets but what I do is cut ventilation, hot glue screening (Usually small insect screen), and then tape a layer of paper towel over that. That keeps things pretty secure. I know you wanted non gasket options but they're the best. Now if you wanna know where to get them on the cheap. got to Walmart. For whatever reason, they're the only place I know that sells those sterilite gasket bins at normal prices. Must be an exclusivity deal which might explain why they're expensive elsewhere. I go to my local Walmart early in the morning and the place is loaded with them. Might be able to get some off of wayfair which is what I've also tried.

Hope this helps a bit!

• 9 months later...

I'm seeking a barrier or reasonably priced escape proof container because I need to house over 100 MHR soon.  I need to know if this safe and effective?

https://www.amazon.com/Mission-Automotive-Dielectric-Silicone-Waterproof/dp/B016E5E59G/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=35LBBK1UB249B&keywords=pure+silicone+grease&qid=1660613909&sprefix=pure+sili%2Caps%2C831&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1