Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hisserdude

Dorylaea orini

37 posts in this topic

Ya, that is what happened to me... :(

Sorry about that.

Where did you get yours and how big were they? They're usually about 50/50 though I checked the one cage and the other five were female.

That's the same amount I got. Out of eight roaches total, all of them are females? Really seems like this species is gender biased towards females...

You could be right. I have never heard that this species is gender biased towards females and I would think that if that was the case someone would have pointed it out on one of the forums but hopefully Orin will see this thread and let us know. After getting four females, I never bought the species again. That was a couple years ago.

Where did you get yours and how big were they? They're usually about 50/50 though I checked the one cage and the other five were female.

OK. Thanks for letting us know. I got mine from Kyle as very small nymphs.

Hmmm, guess we were just unlucky then.

Opened the cage last night and SHABAM!

D.orini%252312.JPG

D.orini%252314.JPG

D.orini%252318.JPG

D.orini%252315.JPG

Two have matured into these beautiful adults, and the other two look like they are not far behind. :D Really hope this species will breed for me!

Awesome photos,the adults are even more beautiful than the nymphs!

Speaking of Kyle, does anyone know when he's updating the site with the new species? I've been looking forward to that for a while, but it's a month and a half late now...

Speaking of Kyle, does anyone know when he's updating the site with the new species? I've been looking forward to that for a while, but it's a month and a half late now...

No idea...I have been curious to see what new animals he will have too. I just check back every week or so.

LOL Ironically I got mine from Kyle and apparently ended up with 3 males and a female

Hmm... well then maybe you and I can work a little something out? ;)

Awesome photos,the adults are even more beautiful than the nymphs!

Thanks! :) I know, they sure are striking!

Nope, no idea, he keeps putting it off, hopefully he'll update it soon though, I really want to see what new species have been introduced to the hobby already!!! :P

Ya he said he would update in February then that turned to May and now it's almost July!

My adults are still alive, here are some pictures of them and their oothecae.:)

D.orini%25232.JPG

D.orini%25231.JPG

D.orini%25234.JPG

Oothecae:

DoryOoth%25232.JPG

DoryOoth%25233.JPG

Hopefully some of the oothecae will hatch soon! :D

Well, looks like I've failed at breeding these guys, still no signs of any oothecae hatching, and for some reason most of the oothecae they produced were misshapen and infertile looking, despite having a perfectly healthy male to mate with. I'm quite upset about this, was really hoping they'd do well for me. :(

I just read in Orin's For the Love of Cockroaches that the oothecae should be misted regularly, and I've never misted them directly at all thinking that would make them moldy, so perhaps that's what went wrong, also I've had trouble keeping the top layer of the substrate consistently moist, so I think I went overboard with the ventilation. Oh well, maybe I'll try again later this year...