Emerald Roach Ootheca

Emerald roaches do not lay oothecas. 

They are oviparous. Which means the eggs develop within the female until it's time to hacth. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jaag said:

I did read that. How long is gestation usually? 

Internal gestation should only take 3 months max when kept optimally, if it takes longer there's probably some stressor making them withhold broods (one of the most common is lack of adequate airflow). Then the young nymphs cling to the mother for the next molt or two, don't know how long that takes.

I do think they get sufficient air flow. I have read that they need fruits available to them at all times but no matter what I put in their enclosure, fruit wise, they don’t eat it. They seem only to eat bee pollen. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jaag said:

I’m trying to post a pic but says my file is too big. Anyone have any ideas how to make it smaller on my phone so that it will upload? 

Use another image hosting service like imgur/discord, etc and paste the image link into the post. The forum doesnt allow large images to be uploaded

18 hours ago, Jaag said:

I do think they get sufficient air flow. I have read that they need fruits available to them at all times but no matter what I put in their enclosure, fruit wise, they don’t eat it. They seem only to eat bee pollen. 

They have very small appetites as adults, so they're probably eating the fruit, you just can't notice it.

4 hours ago, Jaag said:

I can see them eating the pollen too. I read that’s what they mainly consume. Is that true?

As far as protein goes that is their preferred food source, yeah. :)

• 5 months later...

One of these days I'd like to have a breeding colony of them.

I hope so.  Are you familiar with Daves Little Beasties?  He has a video on YouTube about them.

Please keep me posted on your progress with the colony, thanks.

Pictures would Abe great!