Selling excess feeders to local shops?

Nhewyt

Just wondering if anyone regularly sells excess feeders to their local pet shops? Since I want to be sure to stay small in quanity, large in species this time into the hobby, I am looking at all possible means of moving out any population explosions I may end up with. Though my first choice would be to trade or sell to fellow collectors, I want to have a full arsenal of options ;)

If you have sold to local shops what were your experiences with the common potential "issues" such as the usual adverse reaction to anything called a roach, the common pet shop desire to get something for nothing (aka, we can take them off your hands for free but won't pay for them - which, btw would not be a super huge issue if I get desperate lol) and the possibility of flooding the market if the stores decide to start breeding them on their own?

Stores prefer it if you call them "feeder insects" for the reptiles, and if they arrive at the store in some sort of plastic tub/jar/container they can live in. They also seem very disinclined to culture them in-house, so that you would not have to worry about.

I thought to supply a few stores around here myself, but it was too much trouble on my part so I gave up on the idea.

Hmm, I wonder if you can also give feeders to local reptile shelters/rescues? My hissers aren't feeders, but I'm sure some of you all might be interested in doing a good deed.

There are a few reptile swaps in PA that might be worth the drive.

The Pittsburgh Reptile Show and Sale is coming up on the 23rd and is only about 25 minutes from me - but I fear the place, every time I go there I come home will full bags and empty pockets :blink:

You could also check with your local zoos. Many exotic animals require a varied diet and for some, roaches would be a welcome treat they don't usually get. A lot of the smaller zoos are often strapped for cash as the weather gets colder and they have fewer visitors so your offer might be more welcome than you'd expect. Even just letting the zoos know you have spare roaches could help in the event of a problem with their usual sources (like the mealworm problem that has been going on recently).

You could also check with your local zoos. Many exotic animals require a varied diet and for some, roaches would be a welcome treat they don't usually get. A lot of the smaller zoos are often strapped for cash as the weather gets colder and they have fewer visitors so your offer might be more welcome than you'd expect. Even just letting the zoos know you have spare roaches could help in the event of a problem with their usual sources (like the mealworm problem that has been going on recently).

That's a good idea except for the fact that I have a saying that goes like this - "No public good deed goes unpunished"

Which simply means that sooner or later, some goody two shoes, can't keep their nose out of other peoples business, have no life so they have to try to force their will on others, will notice that someone GASP has tropical roaches that could be infesting the world and attacking their children and I would get turned in to the authorities and have to go through ten kinds of heil to explain myself and avoid fines and confiscations - which conceivably, I might not actually avoid.

:wacko: Humm, that may have come out a little more harsh that I meant it to - it's a sore spot with me - people who do things like that.

So, on another note - what IS up with the mealworm thing? How did we end up with a shortage of one of the easiest to culture grain pests?

I've heard a lot of stories but the most plausible seems to be that the bigger breeders fed their stock food from the same supplier. That food had somehow been treated with an insect growth regulator (used to prevent pest insects from infesting grain in storage) and it caused the mealworms to stop breeding. Luckily for us we breed our own. There are other stories but that one made the most sense to me.

I have started moving more and more roaches on a monthly basis, Nhewyt, and find that those stores that sell Bearded Dragons, tarantulas, poison dart frogs, Hedgehogs and the like are the best ones to approach.

I also supply two animal rehabilitation centres - at a greatly reduced rate - and I will try my local zoo next.

I find that pet stores in general do not try to breed everything themselves, but some of their customers will, so that's an obstacle to overcome...

Your local legislation is certainly different to mine, but I think if you keep everything friendly and your prices low, you should keep yourself out of trouble.

Hope this helps...

Thanks for all the input and ideas folks - if the day of overpopulation comes, it's good to know I have options.

And speaking of which, I was very very weak - and used the lame excuse of "I need something to help control population" - I bought a couple of tiny baby Chaco Golden Knee tarantulas...

Thanks for all the input and ideas folks - if the day of overpopulation comes, it's good to know I have options.

And speaking of which, I was very very weak - and used the lame excuse of "I need something to help control population" - I bought a couple of tiny baby Chaco Golden Knee tarantulas...

off topic, but those Chaco Gold Knee's are awesome. I've got one that's about a 2" legspan that can take a full grown B. Lateralis. They grow slowly, but they get huge. :)

off topic, but those Chaco Gold Knee's are awesome. I've got one that's about a 2" legspan that can take a full grown B. Lateralis. They grow slowly, but they get huge. :)

Yes, they are big and beautiful - I picked up a wild caught female at a show back when I was breeding tarantulas. She was about 7" and even though wild caught, tame as a kitten. The only thing she ever thought to use her HUGE fangs for when being handled, was as an extra pair of legs for holding on or pulling her fat butt up - though I must admit it could be unnerving to see those fangs hooked over your thumb, even if it was just to hold on - especially since she so often used those fangs to take full size hissing roaches, and lots of 'em!

One of these new 1/2" babies I got today was sassy though - I guess it wasn't happy having been rolled up in a damp paper towel for the trip and that little bugger came out standing on tip toe and swinging it's fat bum around like a mace, threatening to smack it's hairs ( all 3 of 'em) onto anyone unwary enough :lol:

Yes, they are big and beautiful - I picked up a wild caught female at a show back when I was breeding tarantulas. She was about 7" and even though wild caught, tame as a kitten. The only thing she ever thought to use her HUGE fangs for when being handled, was as an extra pair of legs for holding on or pulling her fat butt up - though I must admit it could be unnerving to see those fangs hooked over your thumb, even if it was just to hold on - especially since she so often used those fangs to take full size hissing roaches, and lots of 'em!

One of these new 1/2" babies I got today was sassy though - I guess it wasn't happy having been rolled up in a damp paper towel for the trip and that little bugger came out standing on tip toe and swinging it's fat bum around like a mace, threatening to smack it's hairs ( all 3 of 'em) onto anyone unwary enough :lol:

Lol, yeah, i think they calm down with age. Mine was unhandlable at .75" when i got it. And it's still skittish at 2", but kinda handleable. :)

Yes, they are G. aureostriata. I love mine but I think a bearded dragon would eat way more roaches if it ever became a big overpopulation problem. Hmmm....I think you need a beardie too....just in case......
You know - they have names for people like you - instigator and enabler are two that come to mind right off :lol:

I love bearded dragons, but just don't have the room available to properly set one up - but... if I could get a couple of the fleece that are taking up shelf space spun up into yarn.... :wub:

• 3 months later...

I must concur on this as a great idea. I am also going to try roaching to the local shops. Right now I sell them mealies because of the recent national problems. I also agree that it was due to bad grain. A few local shops got burned and they always get small mealies anyway so they gobbled mine up.

Have you thought of Craigslist? That's where I make most of my contacts. Hooked up with a local reptile breeder and that worked out well.

I've always been amazed at how fast and how many replies I get on Craigslist when I've posted an availability on a bug. But, I just find it easier to ship than to have people come over or have to meet them down the street. You don't want just anybody showing up to your home. However, I will say that I have one regular customer that I met through Craigslist.

I bought a (used, like new) 40 gallon/long tank for our bearded dragon off Craigslist a few weeks ago. Never buy anything new unless you have to, I say!

Never buy anything new unless you have to, I say!

I absolutely agree. Have you ever considered building your own tanks? I haven't done it, but it seems easy enough if you are mechanically inclined. I'd probably go with some form of plexi and not glass though. Glass does hold up better in the long run but is a little more difficult to cut I can imagine.

Sorry off topic.

I've also considered the "I need a beardie" solution to overpopulation. I think I know enough people with beardies though that I can dish them out to them.

• 3 years later...

I've always been amazed at how fast and how many replies I get on Craigslist when I've posted an availability on a bug. But, I just find it easier to ship than to have people come over or have to meet them down the street. You don't want just anybody showing up to your home. However, I will say that I have one regular customer that I met through Craigslist.

I bought a (used, like new) 40 gallon/long tank for our bearded dragon off Craigslist a few weeks ago. Never buy anything new unless you have to, I say!

• 1 month later...