Green Algae

Curtis T

I was over at a freinds house today and we were out back talking and I looked over at his Koi pond at his waterfall and their was all kinds of green algae growing on it I asked how often he cleaned the algae off and he said every week or so. I was wondering if I let it dry if I could feed it to my Dubia colony. Has anyone used algae to feed their colony befor? I know fish eat it. Curtis

I was over at a freinds house today and we were out back talking and I looked over at his Koi pond at his waterfall and their was all kinds of green algae growing on it I asked how often he cleaned the algae off and he said every week or so. I was wondering if I let it dry if I could feed it to my Dubia colony. Has anyone used algae to feed their colony befor? I know fish eat it. Curtis

Algae is very good for roaches; it's very high in carotenoids which will bring out the reds and oranges in your stock. However, I don't know how palatable it is to them... lol

You could probably grind it up into a powder with other foods.

Algae may have some anti-appetite factors. Rats given spirillulina had reduced appetites and lost weights.

Don't experiment with your roaches.

• 2 months later...

<!--quoteo(post=11990:date=Sep 5 2010, 12:08 AM:name=Curtis T)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Curtis T @ Sep 5 2010, 12:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=11990"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was over at a freinds house today and we were out back talking and I looked over at his Koi pond at his waterfall and their was all kinds of green algae growing on it I asked how often he cleaned the algae off and he said every week or so. I was wondering if I let it dry if I could feed it to my Dubia colony. Has anyone used algae to feed their colony befor? I know fish eat it. Curtis<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Algae may have some anti-appetite factors. Rats given spirillulina had reduced appetites and lost weights.

I have to disagree, the way get an answer is to experiment. I'd take a handful (you can count a small group or sift and weigh large groups) as a control and the same amount in size/weight as an experimantal group. feed one group the alge and document any differences you notice and post it around and help enrich the community. Also try and ID the alge best you can or try to find some to help with it. Drying the alge seems like it would take to most work the rest is just time. If you do feed the alge to them I would be interested to hear how it goes. thx

• 1 year later...

<!--quoteo(post=11990:date=Sep 5 2010, 12:08 AM:name=Curtis T)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Curtis T @ Sep 5 2010, 12:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=11990"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was over at a freinds house today and we were out back talking and I looked over at his Koi pond at his waterfall and their was all kinds of green algae growing on it I asked how often he cleaned the algae off and he said every week or so. I was wondering if I let it dry if I could feed it to my Dubia colony. Has anyone used algae to feed their colony befor? I know fish eat it. Curtis<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I cannot agree - the roaches love it.

There is other problem- the rats need animal proteins( there are essential amino acids).

• 4 weeks later...

I have bottom feeder fish food that has algae as an ingredient and my roaches LOVE it. They also have absolutely NO decrease in appetite. I have pigs for roaches, haha! They never stop eating! Especially my one adult male dubia, he will steal food from other roaches and is always the first to find the food.