Monster Bug Wars

likebugs

Last night, Monster Bug Wars came on the Science channel. I got annoyed before it was half over because of the sound effects. Even my 5 year old said that bugs don't make those sounds. :rolleyes: All that squeaking, roaring, and growling, :blink: and my kid said that she even thought that there was a chicken sound in there somewhere. :lol:

I will still watch the shows when they are on because the picture is good, I am just hoping that the narration is accurate.

Funny my kids said same thing. I think they want to get more viewers just made the show look cheap. And I noticed or maybe its just me it seems it was filmed in a studio not on its natural habitat.

It was on Science Channel it just started last Tuesday.

It definitely looks like some or all of those fights were staged. I was not happy to see that already well fed mantis in a fight with that huge phasmid. If it was staged, I find it to be cruel, and the mantis left most of the phasmid's body just laying there.

Also, the way they portray some of those invertabrates as "monsters" didn't please me. My daughter said the phasmid was frightening.
<_<
My daughter is very brave, and would probably want to keep that phasmid as a pet otherwise. She is better now, after a little lecture about how the phasmid is an herbivore that is not going to attack anything that doesn't mess with it first. I did let her know that they have some good defensive behaviors, with emphasis on "defensive." And, I showed her some vids of humans handling phasmids.
:D

Peter, I think that the show is supposed to be about invertabrates eating other invertabrates. The sound effects and "some" of the staged fights don't come across as natural to me. :(

I hate that show !!

1. Sound effects are horrible and aid in demonizing bugs, not making them more familiar to people in general.

2. Staging. All of the seemingly natural (supposed to look natural) are so staged it amazes me I dont see the glipse of forceps in the edge of a screen shot along the way.

3. Incorrectly named bug(s), though its still hard for me to get past spiders that roar like lions.....

4. forgot what reason 4 is already because I get so worked up over how it makes bugs look more scary to people who know nothing about them in the first place.

Grrrr, Grrrrr !!!

I hate that show !!

1. Sound effects are horrible and aid in demonizing bugs, not making them more familiar to people in general.

2. Staging. All of the seemingly natural (supposed to look natural) are so staged it amazes me I dont see the glipse of forceps in the edge of a screen shot along the way.

3. Incorrectly named bug(s), though its still hard for me to get past spiders that roar like lions.....

4. forgot what reason 4 is already because I get so worked up over how it makes bugs look more scary to people who know nothing about them in the first place.

Grrrr, Grrrrr !!!

:lol: It was on again the other night, and I didn't think that it was as "scary" as the last episode. Did anyone see the ants take down that molting/already dying roach? Or was it just a discarded exoskeleton? At the end of the ants vs. roach part, I swear it was just the skin.

Although, I think that ants are even more effecient at taking down other creatures, than even the "Monster Bug Wars" show can portray.

It would be a lot easier to watch if they didn't put in those silly sounds. At first I was cracking up laughing at the sounds, but it only takes a couple of minutes of that before I get really annoyed. <_<

+1 to all replies before me

Lots of these "educational" channels are nor longer that, and are going downhill. I bet some people actually believe what they see on that, and are bug haters for life. Although we may find it funny and immature, some people might take it the wrong way.

I hate how shows like that do that, especially if it is intended for young people.

• 3 weeks later...

I just saw this show the other day. It's almost as bad as Infested! was. I hope both shows vanish sooner than later and Ken can get his Bugging Out show licensed. He is likely our only hope in an accurate and educational representation of our hobby on those networks. I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of my sat dish and just getting net flix, so tired of this trash...btw....Firefly is on the Science Channel now! It makes me sick, Science, not Sci-Fi!

I know what you mean, the educational channels are starting to get on my nerves, especially when they put those reality shows on. "Look how many kids I can have!" or "Watch us fight over motorcycle parts." I don't think that they should only air nature shows, but they seem to be replacing the education part with shock value and drama. <_<

By the way, I have seen one Bugging Out show and am hoping they will come out with more soon.
:D

• 3 weeks later...

They only add those ridiculous noises to try and make it more entertaining. My friend called me up the other night, and was like you have to check out this bug show on the science channel. There is a praying mantis and it's roaring! :lol: I have to admit for like the first 10 minutes i could stop laughing because the noises were just so absurd! :lol:

• 2 years later...

They only add those ridiculous noises to try and make it more entertaining. My friend called me up the other night, and was like you have to check out this bug show on the science channel. There is a praying mantis and it's roaring! laugh.gif I have to admit for like the first 10 minutes i could stop laughing because the noises were just so absurd! laugh.gif

Hello Ismart. I wanted to wish you a happy birthday as I do all fellow roach-lovers on the forum. What kind of bug is that on your finger in your profile?

• 2 months later...

Any time you see one animal fighting, or killing another animal on tv, and the camera cuts to another angle, you know it's staged. Especially when the opponents are a rare combination. In any case they should have used human voice actors instead of weird animal noises. The show was really too messed up to begin with. I wonder if they still make new episodes.