My Male A tesselata!

cindy

I am so excited! I just noticed that I had one reach adulthood! A beautiful Male, about 3 inches long.

I had to show off some photos I just took of him. I was happy to get some cute face pictures. Hope you like them!

post-2558-0-93206200-1312080863_thumb.jpg

post-2558-0-45421300-1312080883_thumb.jpg

post-2558-0-71623000-1312080891_thumb.jpg

That's a very very nice roach and pics! I am still deciding whether to get these guys, now you may have gave me enough push to get them... :lol:

He's not fully harden, right? I imagine the colour would be a little bit more on the brown side. BTW, why there is water all over him?

Thank you! Yup.. water... I was just randomly spraying when he popped out from behind a branch! I think you are right about him not being fully hardened.

You should get them if you are thinking about it, out of all my roaches, these are top of my list as favorites. They are gentle giants.

I have 3 Caves... I never see them. I worry also about the sudden death after molt. I have seen the peppered out since I got them, they enjoy climbing on branches and seem curious, which is odd for a roach! I would WAY rather have the peppered then the Caves. I have one Peppered, that actually seems to enjoy being out and held. Most the others run and hide from the big hand, but this one guy comes almost running to me! They are odd little creatures! I give a big thumbs up to getting them! :D

Wish I had these species too. A local seller here sold a mini colony before and I didn't buy it right away. Now I have regrets because there's none for sale.sad.gif

Nice roach you got there.smile.gif

I got my first batch from Peter at bugsincyberspace.com Then the 2nd batch (i loved them so much) from Dexter at doubled's... they both were wonderful deliveries, the ones from Dexter were larger when I got them. Very nice.

I just had another mature last night.. this one was even lighter when I saw it. The first one is nice an brown now, but I like this light color!

post-2558-0-15521300-1312292277_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I got my first batch from Peter at bugsincyberspace.com Then the 2nd batch (i loved them so much) from Dexter at doubled's... they both were wonderful deliveries, the ones from Dexter were larger when I got them. Very nice.

I just had another mature last night.. this one was even lighter when I saw it. The first one is nice an brown now, but I like this light color!

post-2558-0-15521300-1312292277_thumb.jpg

This one on the bottom of the photo has a very light head compared to the others, and the wings are almost blacked out. Much different then all the others that have matured so far. I think he is very pretty!

post-2558-0-36064400-1313439569_thumb.jpg

Messing with the Peppered's! I am always trying to get cool pix of them, and I took this of one, and zoomed it in, and saw this awesome eye!

It was so unusual to me to see the shape, I cropped it in close and here it is! Pretty neat.. bugs are cool! B)

post-2558-0-94642500-1313440859_thumb.jpg

I didn't do anything! That one with the white head is really dark winged. It is a male. My other ones look "normal" from other pics I have seen, so I am not quite sure why that one is so dark. I like it also.. They just came that way! :blink:

My shipment of Peppered arrived today, these guys are big, nymphs-wise, I think they're bigger than Giant Caves! I hope some of them turn out like yours though, that black wing specimen is coolest roach I've seen, I might even make a show tank if I get some of them like yours!

6049125907_04209d6c19_z.jpg

IMG_0730 by macbrush, on Flickr

6049680382_e0fb4e5c3e_z.jpg

IMG_0731 by macbrush, on Flickr

Awesome!!!! I didn't know you ordered some! Yes.. those are big! Way bigger nymphs than mine were at first! Congratulations! Can't wait to hear how it all goes. How many did you get??

Yes, I may try and pull that dark male out, and find a darker female if I have one. I am super excited about him too! :D

Thanks for sharing, and please, keep the pics coming! This is fun to see other peppereds.

Peppered nymphs can be gigantic! Mine have a very wide range of sizes and colors too, a couple still look like they're just hardening.

Macbrush... I hope that nymph keeps its bold colors! Looks awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

I took this last night of one of my adult female Peppered's! I think she looks Gravid! :) So exciting!

Great photo!

She is lovely. :)

I can never tell the difference between fat or gravid, with any of my roaches. :unsure: I just assume that fat females are gravid if there are males around, or if they are parthenogenic. :lol:

Great photo!

She is lovely. :)

I can never tell the difference between fat or gravid, with any of my roaches. :unsure: I just assume that fat females are gravid if there are males around, or if they are parthenogenic. :lol:

LOL.. well, yes, I guess I should have put I "HOPE" she is gravid! :)

LOL.. well, yes, I guess I should have put I "HOPE" she is gravid! :)

I knew exactly what you meant, regardless. ;):lol:

I have no idea about how roaches reproductive systems work. :huh:

Can anyone inform me if roaches lay oothecae whether they are fertile or not, like mantids do? It is a question I never thought about until now. :lol:

With livebearing roaches like peppereds, the only times you'll see a non-hatching ooth are when she's rotating/air-drying it or if it's been aborted. I don't think they create an ootheca unless they've been mated.

All four of my mature peppered's last segment of the abdomen look the same to me. Does this mean they are all the same sex like other roaches.

As far as I know.. that answer would be yes... do you have males or females then! Darn! Luck of the draw! I was lucky enough to be able to get 12 of them, so I have a mix. I am worried about my Caves however, as I only have 3 of them! :(

As far as I know.. that answer would be yes... do you have males or females then! Darn! Luck of the draw! I was lucky enough to be able to get 12 of them, so I have a mix. I am worried about my Caves however, as I only have 3 of them! :(

I believe all of the mature ones are males. I still have quite a few nymphs so Im not all that worried about having a good male to female ratio. I started with two adults and 28 mixed nymphs. These are a cool roach. I was thinking of making a dispaly tank with these.

I believe all of the mature ones are males. I still have quite a few nymphs so Im not all that worried about having a good male to female ratio. I started with two adults and 28 mixed nymphs. These are a cool roach. I was thinking of making a dispaly tank with these.

Oh good! You will be fine then! Yes, they are awesome! my favorite for sure. They have a neat little personality. I have mine in a tank, which most my roaches are in tanks, but when all 12 are adults I plan on doing something fun with the tank. They hide, but not to bad, most mine hang out on bark so I can see them. I have a couple that are very calm when I hold them, others that are nuts and try and get away as fast as they can. I love the varied colors and patterns too. Amazing creatures! Post some pics here!

Oh good! You will be fine then! Yes, they are awesome! my favorite for sure. They have a neat little personality. I have mine in a tank, which most my roaches are in tanks, but when all 12 are adults I plan on doing something fun with the tank. They hide, but not to bad, most mine hang out on bark so I can see them. I have a couple that are very calm when I hold them, others that are nuts and try and get away as fast as they can. I love the varied colors and patterns too. Amazing creatures! Post some pics here!

I just had my first two B. rothi mature, one male one female. I have about 50 more large nymphs, these are pretty cool too. I hope to post some pictures of my roaches this weekend.

I just had my first two B. rothi mature, one male one female. I have about 50 more large nymphs, these are pretty cool too. I hope to post some pictures of my roaches this weekend.

OH! I can't wait to see pics of those! I have 4 nymphs, about medium size now. Hurry.. post a pic!