pure Blaberus discoidalis

trying to find a good place to buy a stater colony of these.everyone i usually buy from has out ouf stock or examining the colony for hybrids.anyone hear interested and saleing?

idk i was going get them from roachcrossing but appertly the dudes has a message up that said This stock is currently being examined to validate its purity.so i was like maybe i'll wait so i tryed bugs incyberspace but the guy there didnt have any for sale.then ll reptile in no longer saleing them and westcoastroaches where i think has maybe limited supply.i would like to get 150 or so pure breeds. :) kinda been waiting to get a colony of these going.just need to find some lol

• I have vertical egg flats (6-8) in a bin. They have 1 inch of coir on the bottom. I pour water directly onto the coir on one end (the end that does not have egg flats on it). The temp is high 80-90s. They eat dog food and most of my house hold waste (fruit, veg, yard). They reproduce like crazy and devour ever scrape of food I put in with them. I like the smell of this species. Weird...I know.

yeah.there worth it a good lid is a must :).they got climbing skills..like i use a corn skewers r.to stay holes in the lid so even the tinyest nymphs cant get out but there is pleanty of air hold on the side and top.

I need to get some and try them. I hear good things about this species.

Eurycotis floridana are one of my favorites. A curious and interesting roach. They like to chase eachother around the container and end up getting me to go watch them after hearing all the commotion.

yeah.there worth it a good lid is a must :).they got climbing skills..like i use a corn skewers r.to stay holes in the lid so even the tinyest nymphs cant get out but there is pleanty of air hold on the side and top.

Good to know. How small are the nymphs? Do you need pin holes for ventilation?

they get pretty small better safe then sorry i'd sugest about that size hole maybe a litle bigger.holes also help keep the humdity contraled

I just use doubled over aluminum window screen glued to holes that are drilled out of the lid of a sealed container like one can get for pet food storage, and have never had an escape.

Right now, I have a small colony in a screw lid pretzel container with aluminum screen glued to a doorknob hole drilled in the lid. That container seems to hold more humidity than I would prefer so I will be going back to a pet food container soon, as it has more lid space to drill holes into, and doesn't keep the roaches too humid.

Plenty of vaseline can keep many of the roaches off the ceiling of the container where they may hang out and possibly flee when it is opened. The first instar nymphs can walk over it but would rather not. They usually come to the vaseline and turn around to go away from it.

The first instar nymphs are kind of wide and probably wouldn't be able to get through normal window screen, they are just over half the size of Blaberus discoidalis nymphs.

Thanks. I have not wanted to buy window screen but I need to. Do you hot glue the screen to the lid?

I use sand paper or a serrated knife to rough up the plastic where I glue the screen. I use HOT glue only for roach containers. The low temp glue sticks won't do because any amount of heat will compromise the integrity of the container. I only use metal screen because I am wary of roaches being able to chew through fiberglass screen.

I also always check to make sure that the glued screen is firmly in place(every time I open the container) because with time, wear and tear, and temperature changes, even hot glue can lose its grip. I will push and pull on the screen and if I can break it off, it needs to be repaired. I would rather break it than have it unchecked and the roaches discover an opening.

I use sand paper or a serrated knife to rough up the plastic where I glue the screen. I use HOT glue only for roach containers. The low temp glue sticks won't do because any amount of heat will compromise the integrity of the container. I only use metal screen because I am wary of roaches being able to chew through fiberglass screen.

I also always check to make sure that the glued screen is firmly in place(every time I open the container) because with time, wear and tear, and temperature changes, even hot glue can lose its grip. I will push and pull on the screen and if I can break it off, it needs to be repaired. I would rather break it than have it unchecked and the roaches discover an opening.

Thanks!