news: turks taking southwest (bad)

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/news/articles/2013/12/11/faster-breeding-cockroach-taking-over-in-southwestern-us

Bad part being "This may be the first time that an invasive urban pest species is widely distributed via the Internet and through the sale of live insects."

Hope this blows over without any rules or laws being made. Plus I'm not entirely sure how accurate this statement is.

They didn't really mention if this was an indoor or outdoor invasion (I imagine outdoor), but really the worst outcome I could imagine would be displacement of Blatta orientalis or maybe some native Parcoblatta sp. and the like.

but really the worst outcome I could imagine would be displacement of Blatta orientalis or maybe some native Parcoblatta sp. and the like.

And that is bad. Invasive species can do a lot of damage. No one can know if they would simply take over the similar ecosystem roles of those species or not.

They'll certainly leave out the part it was accidentally introduced by the government if it makes it to television. It's more sensational and exciting to blame things on pet owners.

Here a better [written] article http://entomologytoday.org/2013/12/09/the-invasive-turkestan-cockroach-is-displacing-the-oriental-cockroach-in-the-southwestern-u-s/

There's a link to an open paper in the article if anyone is interested in life history and biology of the species.

They mention the army, and a link at the bottom for an LA Times article is about the army introducing them.

Just to let you know , these guys froze solid at 35F and below and yet came back to life when temps rose back up in the 50s F ....

If it's not mentioned in that paper you could send the individuals working with them some information about this. They could further test and share the results.

Quite a bit is known about terrestrial insect antifreeze proteins and such, but a lot is still unknown. Who knows, maybe the roaches could be handy for some investigations into this.