P. magnifica

Hi,

I have a group of Pseudoglomeris magnifica. They are very shy during the day, staying under the substrate at the bottom of the terrarium and they just go out at the end of the day. Have you observing the same behaviour ? I feed them with fruits honey, decomposed wood and leaves. I read somewhere here that I should add pollen. I thought they probably don't like the lamp I put on the top so I'm goint to change for a ceramic lamp without light. Any tips would be appreciated.

Edit : they eat some apple, but seem not fond of banana. I gave them some pollen. Some of them are going out at night... 

Best from France,

jeb

I'd definitely remove the lamp, as the bright light could be making them extra shy. These are normally day active roaches though, and they shouldn't be burrowing at all. What are you using for hides?

I feed mine synthetic pollen and Apple. They seem to eat less than other species, in my experience at least. They've grown well for me on that diet, and mine tend to be active in the. Very early morning or I'll spot a few at night, but they mainly hang out huddled up under the wood pieces. 

• Like 1

Pollen or artificial pollen, as well as various fruits appear to be the best diet for these, they'll nibble on grain based protein but they are palynivores in the wild and thus do best when it's included in their captive diet. But as @Shinylarvitar97 noted, this species and Perisphaerinae as a whole have small appetites. 

Glad to hear yours are already more active! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well... This is not a success so far. I found a young one dead yesterday.  I've done a really nice terrarium with an old piece of wood, moss, barks, but they really don't move a lot. Do you think I should better put them in an opaque box ?

• Sad 1

I spray water twice a day with rain water, and keep it humid in some part of the terrarium and dry in other part. They seem to prefer the dry part. In can see some of them through the glass, they stay in the substrate most of the time and don't really move. I saw some eating a bit. But yep, I don't think they are really active or anything and finding a young one dead is not a good sign :(

18 hours ago, Jeb said:

I spray water twice a day with rain water, and keep it humid in some part of the terrarium and dry in other part. They seem to prefer the dry part. In can see some of them through the glass, they stay in the substrate most of the time and don't really move. I saw some eating a bit. But yep, I don't think they are really active or anything and finding a young one dead is not a good sign :(

Yeah they definitely like things on the drier side for sure, I don't know why one of the nymphs would die, your setup sounds ideal and mortality rates are supposed to be quite low... There wouldn't happen to be a high amount of large springtails or any isopod species housed with them would there? (as those can stress them out). 

• 2 weeks later...

Some news : I added more substrate so they can hide better. I also gave them pear's slices and they really like it. Also added fish food for proteins. Removing a piece of wood, I've found this big girl. I hope she will have babies soon 😍

p.magnifica.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/2/2020 at 3:40 AM, Jeb said:

Some news : I added more substrate so they can hide better. I also gave them pear's slices and they really like it. Also added fish food for proteins. Removing a piece of wood, I've found this big girl. I hope she will have babies soon. 😍

Well that's good, glad to hear they like the food, hope they do well and breed for you soon. :) Perhaps they'll be more active when there's more of them. 

• 2 months later...

Old thread I know and hopefully all your issues are solved by now! Just thought I'd comment that I've read magnifica need relatively high levels of ventilation/air exchange. Could it have anything to do with that? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MountainMushie said:

Old thread I know and hopefully all your issues are solved by now! Just thought I'd comment that I've read magnifica need relatively high levels of ventilation/air exchange. Could it have anything to do with that? 

This is true, but that's more so to keep them gestating their broods at a decent rate instead of only giving birth like every six months... Shouldn't affect the mortality rates of nymphs and females, I have heard of adult males dying prematurely due to a lack of ventilation though, (P.magnifica males should live at least 6 months on average). They may be slightly less active with less airflow too. 

• 2 months later...

I concur on the beetle jelly. Mine are nuts for the banana flavor. They also really like crushed, dried black soldier fly larvae and packaged moist grasshoppers. They eat way more insect protein than I would have thought.