Myrmecoblatta wheeleri (Wheeler's Ant Roach)

Hisserdude

Got five of these diminutive cuties thanks to @Cariblatta lutea! 😁 They were found in FL, in Camponotus floridanus nests. No one's been able to breed these and rear the offspring up to adulthood before, here's hoping I'll have some luck with them!🤞These are Corydiids, very closely related to Compsodes BTW. 

Adult male:

Myrmecoblattawheeleri%25231.JPG

Myrmecoblattawheeleri%25238.JPG

Adult female:

Myrmecoblattawheeleri%25234.JPG

Myrmecoblattawheeleri%25236.JPG

Female and nymph:

Myrmecoblattawheeleri%25237.JPG

Myrmecoblattawheeleri%252311.JPG

Subadult female:

Myrmecoblattawheeleri%252310.JPG

Myrmecoblattawheeleri%25235.JPG

Subadult male:

Myrmecoblattawheeleri%25239.JPG

So have you thought of trying to start an ant colony to put them in with? Since they were found with a Campontus species you might could try one native to where you live? Camponotus pennsylvanica (the carpenter ant) is fairly common. 

On 10/10/2020 at 1:00 PM, Matttoadman said:

So have you thought of trying to start an ant colony to put them in with? Since they were found with a Campontus species you might could try one native to where you live? Camponotus pennsylvanica (the carpenter ant) is fairly common. 

They actually seem to be picky about what Camponotus they'll nest with, Alan only found them in C.floridanus nests. Even if I had a compatible species in my area though, I'm not really interested in keeping ants. 

So what I wonder is if perhaps a diet that would be similar to what that species of aunt would eat might be helpful or even necessary? I would definitely research that ant , Because it would appear to me that there’s something about the ant colony that is necessary for rearing. Ants in general Feed on a lot of sugary items. They also have a period where they switch over to protein-based food. I wouldn’t even go as far as to collect some of those ants and kill them and feed them to the roaches. You never know there could be something in the gut of that ant that is necessary. Speculation of course

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2020 at 8:52 AM, Matttoadman said:

So what I wonder is if perhaps a diet that would be similar to what that species of aunt would eat might be helpful or even necessary? I would definitely research that ant , Because it would appear to me that there’s something about the ant colony that is necessary for rearing. Ants in general Feed on a lot of sugary items. They also have a period where they switch over to protein-based food. I wouldn’t even go as far as to collect some of those ants and kill them and feed them to the roaches. You never know there could be something in the gut of that ant that is necessary. Speculation of course

Well I've bred Myrmecophilus without keeping them with ants, so I'm hoping I can do the same with the Myrmecoblatta, we'll see. I'm throwing everything I can at them diet wise. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
59 minutes ago, FlamingSwampert said:

Wow, they are tiny! Makes sense because they live with ants.... Any babies yet?

No, no offspring yet, I'm having a hard time with them TBH, they don't seem to want to even lay any oothecae for me... But otherwise seem healthy, so IDK what's up. 

1 hour ago, Hisserdude said:

No, no offspring yet, I'm having a hard time with them TBH, they don't seem to want to even lay any oothecae for me... But otherwise seem healthy, so IDK what's up. 

Hmmm... perhaps they're too dry? I'm sorry to hear that, but at least they are healthy.

7 hours ago, FlamingSwampert said:

Hmmm... perhaps they're too dry? I'm sorry to hear that, but at least they are healthy.

Nah, their setup is definitely quite humid. Yeah that's nice, I just hope I get some ooths before they inevitably die of old age.