Macropanesthia rhinoceros (Rhinoceros roach)

Hisserdude

Bit overdue on showing these off here, but thanks so much to @Peter Clausen for sending me a pair of this amazing, giant, iconic Blattodean!!! 😁 I believe these are L4 nymphs. 

Macropanesthia%25231.JPG

Macropanesthia%25232.JPG

Macropanesthia%25233.JPG

Macropanesthia%25234.JPG

Macropanesthia%25235.JPG

Macropanesthia%25236.JPG

Macropanesthia%25237.JPG

Macropanesthia%25238.JPG

Macropanesthia%25239.JPG

They're so dang cute! ☺

• Like 1

• Hisserdude changed the title to Macropanesthia rhinoceros (Rhinoceros roach)
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, FlamingSwampert said:

Neat, that rich deep red tone really fits the nymphs well!

I agree, they're beautiful at this stage! 😁

• 1 year later...

Well, my two females are doing great, one matured, and the other's a subadult. I needed a male to fertilize them, and thankfully @Cariblatta lutea loaned me his. :D This is a childhood dream of mine in the making, finally pairing Macropanesthia rhinoceros!!! Hopefully the females will give birth next year!

Adult female:

M.rhinoceros2022%234.JPG

M.rhinoceros2022%231.JPG

M.rhinoceros2022%235.JPG

Mating pair:

20220907_140110~2.jpg

M.rhinocerosMating%234.JPG

M.rhinocerosMating%231.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Congrats. One thing about rhinos is the males (and females) can be very different in size between individuals of the same sibling group. This only matters because most people don't really have any idea how big this species truly can get until they've kept quite a few. Like hissers, only a fraction are ever super giants.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Allpet Roaches said:

Congrats. One thing about rhinos is the males (and females) can be very different in size between individuals of the same sibling group. This only matters because most people don't really have any idea how big this species truly can get until they've kept quite a few. Like hissers, only a fraction are ever super giants.

Yeah, this male is rather small, and my females aren't giants either, which I attributed to keeping them a tad warmer than most others do. My gals only took a couple years to mature, but probably traded off size for fast growth. Good to know though, hopefully in the future I can rear up some monster individuals! 😁

1 hour ago, Hisserdude said:

Yeah, this male is rather small, and my females aren't giants either, which I attributed to keeping them a tad warmer than most others do. My gals only took a couple years to mature, but probably traded off size for fast growth. Good to know though, hopefully in the future I can rear up some monster individuals! 😁

Maybe five years ago the biggest male I'd ever seen matured and I figured that was top for the species but then last year a really big one came out, just like the size variability in oblongonota.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/19/2024 at 5:07 PM, Bhjjr said:

Is this male one of your babies from the pairing in September 2022? F1?

(Did I use the term F1 correctly?)

F1 is usually the offspring of wild adults, F2 is the following generation. They take 36 to 60 months to mature.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/19/2024 at 3:07 PM, Bhjjr said:

Is this male one of your babies from the pairing in September 2022? F1?

(Did I use the term F1 correctly?)

No, a male from a different breeder.

• Like 1