What roach would you reccomend?

So,

I want to limit myself to keeping only around 5-10 spiecies of roaches, and i want them to be quite easy /not so high maintance.

What spiecies would you reccomend? My favourite ones are Hormetica sp. "colombia" and Polyphaga saussurei.... that should give you some insight into my taste in roaches. :D

I would recommend eublaberus distanti, gyna caffrorum (with escape proof), therea bernhardti, nauphoeta cinerea and one Madagascar hisser species. 

I am really enjoying my true blooded G. oblongonota. Some of the males could fit three hormetica adult males in the pronotum. I've seen some monster hissers over the years but these are what good bug dreams are made of. I don't think I ever really imagined I'd see a hisser this big. I have the colony in a 70 gallon and many males are not impressive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Allpet Roaches said:

I am really enjoying my true blooded G. oblongonota. Some of the males could fit three hormetica adult males in the pronotum. I've seen some monster hissers over the years but these are what good bug dreams are made of. I don't think I ever really imagined I'd see a hisser this big. I have the colony in a 70 gallon and many males are not impressive.

Is this the called "giant" form? 

7 hours ago, Allpet Roaches said:

Is that your old oblongonata stock, or the line bred "giant" strain going around? If the latter, you notice any difference in coloration or morphology between those and your older stock?

On 12/7/2021 at 9:59 PM, Martin said:

Is this the called "giant" form? 

No.

On 12/7/2021 at 11:54 PM, Hisserdude said:

Is that your old oblongonata stock, or the line bred "giant" strain going around? If the latter, you notice any difference in coloration or morphology between those and your older stock?

I've had them a while. I think it's partly the cage but pure oblongonota were always capable of throwing monsters. These are a very stable line in terms of color and morphology except the really huge male horns are almost hellboy shaped.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I need to learn the scientific names, which is a work in progress, but there are many s names so I'll be a while.

What is the biggest and best hisser to breed?  

Is this safe to use as a barrier?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016E5E59G/?coliid=I2P6A3GOCB70WR&colid=38NE0P82F80D&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it