What inverts would you want/want more of in the hobby?

More Periplaneta japonica. A roach that doesn't mind the cold seems very... housable right now.

More brightly coloured roaches. Basically any photo in For The Love Of Cockroaches with 'Australia' or 'Singapore' in the caption. (Australian imports, a boy can dream)

More Grammostola iheringi tarantulas. Which is why I just ordered a juvie male... 😎

• Like 1

Eurycotis improcera(my current favorite roach) as well as Mardi gras roaches. Forget their scientific name but they are so colorful. Also more hemithyrsocera species and just small/tiny roaches in general. Also I’ve always loved tiger and longhorn beetles but not a lot are being breed in the US at least

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tennyson said:

Maddi grad roaches

Probably referring to Polyzosteria mitchelli. Yeah I'd love those too, maybe one day... 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wish Gryllodes sigillatus was more available in the mantis hobby but also the reptile/invertebrate hobby in general. They're higher in protein and do not carry the bacteria that kills mantises. Although some mantis species are sensitive to them and can die from them, many species eat them just fine. They'd be better for reptiles and other invertebrates too that eat them. I don't keep crickets myself but it would be nice of they were more common.

• 3 months later...

I'm not sure yet.  I'm currently engaged in collecting all of the hisser species and a few smaller roaches.  I might have an answer someday.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

1. Buthidae of the Palearctic, more species of the Middle East and North Africa;

2. Oxyhaloinae, especially Gromphadorhini;

3. earwigs from the family Anisolabiidae, especially species from Australia and Oceania;

4. desert darklings from the subfamilies Pimelinae and Blaptinae, but I have not yet managed to make friends with Holometabola;

5. i would also like more Palearctic desert Galeodes, but apparently they will not be able to serve properly in the laboratory;

6. there are a lot of Embioptera and termites, and most importantly, they need to be kept in the laboratory.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/5/2022 at 5:59 AM, Spread.Out.Paradise said:

aquatic inverts of any sort

• I second Aquatic Inverts!  I've been keeping aquatic animals (fish, turtles, amphibians, crayfish/shrimp, snails) for over 20 years.  I find it odd that aquatic insects and aquatic arachnids have not really moved into the aquarium hobby.

• Land crabs and amphibious crabs.  If breeding in captivity could be figured out, I'm sure more could be kept.  Vampire crabs are amazing (and fairly easy to breed), and coconut crabs are out of this world!