Armadillidium klugii tips?

FlamingSwampert

I have 6 Armadillidium klugii. They are in a small container with moss, egg shell hides, and a high quality substrate (as well as food, obviously). But they haven't produced for me yet, so I was wondering what your guys tips and tricks are. I'm planning on decreasing the humidity thanks to Orins book. I've had them ever since August. Thanks guys!

I keep the Baltic Armadillidiums about half way between the Western European Armadillidiums and Mediterranean Porcellios. Moderately high ventilation and a more alkaline clay infused substrate. An addition of 10% Sodium Bentonite and 1 % Pulverized Dolomitic Limestone to the substrate more closely imitates their natural soil type. It has worked very well for me.

20 hours ago, Fingerlakefeeders said:

I keep the Baltic Armadillidiums about half way between the Western European Armadillidiums and Mediterranean Porcellios. Moderately high ventilation and a more alkaline clay infused substrate. An addition of 10% Sodium Bentonite and 1 % Pulverized Dolomitic Limestone to the substrate more closely imitates their natural soil type. It has worked very well for me.

You can always try adding some bark with lichen on it.

I cultured mine on plain coconut coir, a third of the substrate moist, two thirds dry. High ventilation, lots of leaf litter and some bark hides. They absolutely exploded within several months and I had hundreds in no time, a very easy species.

• Thanks 2

On 2/17/2023 at 11:11 PM, Fingerlakefeeders said:

I would say a nutritive substrate is very important. However, HD says coir works just as well. Based on my respect for HD, I would say that varied approaches work.

IME no isopods other than Helleria and similar spp. actually need a nutrition rich substrate, so long as whatever substrate you give them is topped with leaf litter, and offer supplemental foods regularly, (they get all the nutrients they need from both of those). Only more millipede-like species like Helleria that primarily feed on rotten wood and such actually highly benefit from a nutrient rich substrate. And for lots of non-burrowers, a nutrient rich substrate is completely useless considering it'll be covered in frass anyways in a generation or two.

• Thanks 1

I completely understand your point and know many folks have had success using coir. Based on my experience and research, although most isopods do not "need", many benefit from substrates that support a healthy biofilm. I am not talking about cellulose, I am talking about the bacteria and fungus that grow on such substrates. Of the species I keep, the Cubaris/Nesodillo benefit the most. The Armadillidiums benefit, but probably to a lesser extent. For many of the others, it is certainly doing no harm. Perhaps the ultimate benefit is what the spent substrate does for my garden plants. All of the Mediterranean Porcellios I keep have a far different substrate. Hakuna matata.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Mine were VERY slow then I read something and tried increasing their temps no other changes and they exploded very quickly

My own personal experience is Pods thrive with more heat than is generally advised all my Pods are in the mid to high 20s and thriving EG I got 12 tiny baby Gestroi very end of Jan and I've now got about 60+ new babies same story with my magic potions and my original 10 panda kings are now 3 thriving colonies

So just try upping your temp before anything else

Let me know what happens

SB