Panchlora nivea... not doing so well...

Hello all,

just requesting a little help. i have recently received 20 Panchlora nivea nymphs and i would say 5 adults with two being female. odd thing is the adults are dieing off and its really starting to bug me! im not sure whats wrong with my setup...

Setup:

2.5 gal glass with plexi glass lid

coco husk substrate

egg carton

Food:

repashy super food http://www.store.repashy.com/bug-burger-16-oz-bag.html

ive been keeping it pretty moist... as they are supposed to be from some pretty humid areas from what i have read. when i find the dead adults, they are turning red like a cooked shirmp. it is around 75-80 degrees natural temp in my house in the summer, and i dont think that could be the cause. i will attach a photo so everyone can see.

Very Respectfully,

NavyDT

photobucket-2199-1343431344530.jpg

photobucket-3660-1343431404178.jpg

I would suspect not damp enough. I honestly used to keep mine in a shoebox with NO ventilation. It was just constantly damp in there, and they bred like crazy. They also could climb and fly so I was hesitant to use a screened enclosure like you but more power to you if they aren't escaping. They're big on veggies/green leaves; don't seem to enjoy protein. And yes, I used cocohut substrate. But mine was so damp if you put your palm of your hand into it you'd have a wet mud imprint. I don't imagine they even need a light as I kept mine in total seclusion.

But I am not an expert by any means.

• 3 weeks later...

That red coloration is something that can kill unhealthy adults and stain dead ones. I've had it in several enclosures over the years and the best thing I can tell you is to change the substrate and the container well. I've seen this mainly in Periplaneta but also with B. discoidalis and G. lurida. I don't know the cause, it's either bacteria or fungus, either way, it's not a good thing to have in the enclosure.

• 9 months later...

Hello all,

just requesting a little help. i have recently received 20 Panchlora nivea nymphs and i would say 5 adults with two being female. odd thing is the adults are dieing off and its really starting to bug me! im not sure whats wrong with my setup...

Setup:

2.5 gal glass with plexi glass lid

coco husk substrate

egg carton

Food:

repashy super food http://www.store.rep...-16-oz-bag.html

ive been keeping it pretty moist... as they are supposed to be from some pretty humid areas from what i have read. when i find the dead adults, they are turning red like a cooked shirmp. it is around 75-80 degrees natural temp in my house in the summer, and i dont think that could be the cause. i will attach a photo so everyone can see.

Very Respectfully,

NavyDT

photobucket-2199-1343431344530.jpg

photobucket-3660-1343431404178.jpg

If you haven't seen, vfox has given a good suggestion below that might save the rest of your roaches. Best of luck!!

it was one year ago... they're dead now ;)

Sorry to hear that! Better luck with any in the future.