So, we have three adult Madagascar hissers, one is a little female that we are like 80% sure is a hybrid.

We just became the proud grandbug grandparents of 61 little roaches, who just had their first molt.

pretty little things!

I'm becoming more interested in some really pretty colored wide horns? i hear they have some pretty coloration and get bigger? is that true?

This picture has me just fascinated.

http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/Roaches/images/GportentosaMale.jpg

That one is a normal hisser, Gromphadorhina portentosa. Wide horn hissers, Gromphadorhina oblongonota are a maroon color once adults, so they're not that pretty. They are quite large though. http://www.roachcrossing.com/for-sale/roach/all/wide-horn-hisser/

Also on wide horn juveniles you can see a unique black-with-whitespot coloration. The maximum size wide horn can reach is more than regular hissers, but it doesn't mean that every wide horn hisser is a giant.

Well they look pretty to me, but I also love the color and shininess of the American cockroach. So I'm not the best person to judge what is "pretty' to others, lol!

And even then it's not really a pest. We used to have a symbiotic relationship with cockroaches. They got a a warm place to live and a constant supply of tasty leftovers; we got a free janitorial service, louse and bedbug removal, and an occasional crunchy snack.

I'm not saying they can't be pretty, I'm just saying it comes down to personal preference. I was trying to judge what most people pertain as pretty, which I guess was unwise of me, seeing as I don't have insight into other human minds. To me, I find a variety of "repulsive" creatures pretty, and was trying to appeal to you guys as if you were non-bug lovers, which I shouldn't have done, because you are bug lovers. I'm just sorta used to talking about bugs to non-bug lovers, lol! :P Sorry if I have offended any of you guys.

I am pretty sure its just a large male G.portentosa. Its on orin's site Allpet roaches listed as a G.portentosa, you can ask him to see if its a mistake. I've never heard of G.oblongonata having that color though....

I am pretty sure its just a large male G.portentosa. Its on orin's site Allpet roaches listed as a G.portentosa, you can ask him to see if its a mistake. I've never heard of G.oblongonata having that color though....

Ask who? and this is allpet roaches. where is it listed on this site?

This female is now five days after her final molt. She came from the Insect Zoo's colony of around a thousand hissers, some of which have one Giant Morph male in their lineage. I've isolated her with a subadult male and subadult female who show similar coloration.

This female is now five days after her final molt. She came from the Insect Zoo's colony of around a thousand hissers, some of which have one Giant Morph male in their lineage. I've isolated her with a subadult male and subadult female who show similar coloration.

Cool!