Most colorful species in the hobby?

Just curious which you all think are the most colorful/interesting looking species available? I'm sure this has been brought up at some point, but I had trouble searching for it. From everything I've come across, the emerald roaches are probably #1 for me. I've seen some pretty incredible looking species online, but I don't believe any are kept as pets for whatever reason.

Eucorydia dasytoides (and many other Eucorydia), Panchlora sp. "Costa Rica Yellow", Pseudoglomeris beybeinkoi, Paranauphoeta spp., ... Some of the more colorful species in culture that come to mind. :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Martin said:

I keep G.centurio and E.yasumatsui.

H vittata I haven't been able to get any yet.

I wasn't even familiar with E. Yasumatsui or any of the others until now. I more recently got into keeping species for the purposes as pets(started out getting them as feeders and trading/selling some in the reptile community). Is anyone selling these currently, or are they rare/difficult? They look amazing!

8 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

Eucorydia dasytoides (and many other Eucorydia), Panchlora sp. "Costa Rica Yellow", Pseudoglomeris beybeinkoi, Paranauphoeta spp., ... Some of the more colorful species in culture that come to mind. :)

Those are good ones!

Never saw the yellow costa Rica panchlora available, but I've heard they're out there. I'm a big fan of yellows on animals/insects for sure! 

The only place I've seen P. Beybeinkoi available is on that 'my home nature site' which seems kind of odd/too good to be true.

17 minutes ago, Philology said:

Oh my goodness, E.yasumatsui are ridiculous looking. Am I the only one kind of shocked that American cockroach enthusiasts are seemingly "behind" hobbyists in Asia/Europe? 

Seems to be that way in a little of animal hobbies. Not sure why though, easier to obtain things there maybe? 

4 hours ago, Philology said:

Oh my goodness, E.yasumatsui are ridiculous looking. Am I the only one kind of shocked that American cockroach enthusiasts are seemingly "behind" hobbyists in Asia/Europe? 

Yeah we're a bit behind for sure, there's a bit of a lack of serious roach enthusiasts here who can breed very finicky species long term, and the laws here regarding imports makes the flow of new species entering the US hobby more of a trickle... 

Regarding Eucorydia yasumatsui though, those are being bred successfully by a small number of hobbyists here, you can probably expect to see some for sale on various facebook groups next year, (for a pretty penny though).

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/24/2020 at 7:44 PM, Hisserdude said:

Yeah we're a bit behind for sure, there's a bit of a lack of serious roach enthusiasts here who can breed very finicky species long term, and the laws here regarding imports makes the flow of new species entering the US hobby more of a trickle... 

Regarding Eucorydia yasumatsui though, those are being bred successfully by a small number of hobbyists here, you can probably expect to see some for sale on various facebook groups next year, (for a pretty penny though).

A little off topic, but I guess it's my own thread to derail lol... I don't have any social media other than belonging to a few forums. You said facebook groups sell roaches? I thought I heard FB banned the selling of any animals, inverts included?

1 hour ago, Jimbobtom said:

A little off topic, but I guess it's my own thread to derail lol... I don't have any social media other than belonging to a few forums. You said facebook groups sell roaches? I thought I heard FB banned the selling of any animals, inverts included?

Technically they did. people get around it by saying things like: "I have such-and-such. PM me"  As long as there isn't a price in the post or the words selling or buying, they can get away with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jimbobtom said:

Yeah, what @RosenKrieger said, people are getting around it by talking in code lol. Also, FB still lets some invert business pages post ads. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...