Cultivation of Simandoa conserfariam

I finally have six older nymphs Simandoa conserfariam, which I have long dreamed of (since they are Oxyhaloinae). I have no information on the cultivation and breeding of this species. The first imago appeared yesterday (presumably a male). Since I only have six individuals, I am very worried about preserving them and getting culture. Do you think there is a chance to get culture out of so many? And I would also like to hear recommendations from those who already have positive experience in breeding this species :)

Here is my first imago:

137fd02d-da78-4d0f-a812-62d4e92bb139.thumb.jpeg.cfd850f0b03621310fc462ece0bdf535.jpeg

• Like 1

Congrats on getting this beautiful species! Though Orin and Peter are the definitive experts on them in the hobby, I've been keeping them for about 7 months now, with a fair amount of success. The starting culture I work with is quite large due to its long term purpose, but I know of people who have successfully been able to culture large amounts out of groups as small as six. You'll get anywhere from 15-30 babies out of one successful pairing, though god knows it takes a while. In most cases adulthood takes about 8 months to reach, and gestation ranges 3-5. I have been told however, that these periods can be shortened if greater heat is provided, though I have not tried this myself.

I keep my two groups in highly ventilated bins on a few inches of coconut husk topped by leaf litter, with slightly moist sphagnum in one corner to increase humidity. I provide both cork bark and egg cartons which serve (along with a high protein diet) to decrease antennae and wing biting. I will lightly mist the substrate once daily, and provide varied produce and protein sources, along with a consistent container of calcium fortified cricket gel. This setup has allowed me to see significant growth in my group of nymphs, and I have observed continued breeding in the large mixed colony I was able to purchase last month. Hopefully I will be seeing more babies soon!

Oh, and I'm sure you've already figured this out, but your enclosure need to be crazy secure. Crazy secure.

I hope this is a helpful report of my experience with this species, I want to end it by thanking the people from whom much of this care information came. A huge thank you to @Peter Clausen@Allpet Roaches@pannaking22@Hisserdude and the many, many others both on and off this forum who have contributed towards my work with this species. I wouldn't be able to work with these incredible roaches if these folks hadn't. Thank you all! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, goliathusdavid said:

Поздравляю с получением этого прекрасного вида! Хотя Орин и Питер являются абсолютными экспертами по ним в своем хобби, я держу их около 7 месяцев, и это довольно успешно. Начальная культура, с которой я работаю, довольно велика из-за ее долгосрочной цели, но я знаю людей, которым удалось вырастить большое количество групп из шести человек. Вы получите от 15 до 30 малышей от одной удачной пары, хотя, черт его знает, на это нужно время. В большинстве случаев для достижения зрелого возраста требуется около 8 месяцев, а срок беременности составляет 3-5 лет. Однако мне сказали, что эти периоды можно сократить, если обеспечить более сильное тепло, хотя я сам не пробовал.

Я держу свои две группы в хорошо вентилируемых ящиках на нескольких дюймах кокосовой скорлупы, покрытых опавшими листьями, со слегка влажным сфагнумом в одном углу для повышения влажности. Я предлагаю и пробковую кору, и коробки для яиц, которые служат (наряду с высокобелковой диетой), чтобы уменьшить кусание усиков и крыльев. Я буду слегка распылять субстрат один раз в день и предлагать различные продукты и источники белка, а также постоянный контейнер с гелем для сверчков, обогащенным кальцием. Эта установка позволила мне увидеть значительный рост моей группы нимф, и я наблюдал продолжающееся размножение в большой смешанной колонии, которую мне удалось приобрести в прошлом месяце. Надеюсь, скоро у меня появятся новые дети!

О, и я уверен, что вы уже поняли это, но ваш корпус должен быть безумно безопасным. Безумно безопасный.

Я надеюсь, что это полезный отчет о моем опыте общения с этим видом, я хочу закончить его, поблагодарив людей, от которых поступила большая часть этой информации по уходу. Огромное спасибо@Peter Clausen@Allpet Roaches@ pannaking22@Hisserdude и многие, многие другие на этом форуме и за его пределами, которые внесли свой вклад в мою работу с этим видом. Я бы не смог работать с этими невероятными тараканами, если бы они этого не сделали. Спасибо вам всем! 

Thank you so much, you really helped! And I just have to wait until at least one pair is formed :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My Simandoa all started to go out in adults, one pair has been in imago for several weeks already and the female is already plump. I really hope for a brood. The comrade had only two broods, despite the fact that in the first there are much less than thirty babies, and in the second there are only two. This is upsetting. But let's hope for the best :)

In the photo, a pair of adults (male and female):

ssUOXvdRuoM.jpg?size=1280x872&quality=96&sign=bbf362a335c4f193bb6fa830368a4365&type=album

• Like 2

Mating was recorded last night, which lasted about half an hour. This happened after the culture was moved to a much larger container with more shelters. In my opinion, this eliminated the problem of crowding (despite the small number of individuals) and allowed males to occupy individual sites. In general, I adhere to the standard humidification scheme — the main part of the substrate is moderately dry, the rest (no more than 5%) is wet. According to the instructions of the authors of the taxon «it is humid enough in the cave».

Photo of copulation (of very poor quality, since it was shot through the plastic wall of the container):

252blMSkIh8.jpg?size=810x1080&quality=96&sign=68f077383195fbf9a5416acdc35547ad&type=album