what isopods do you keep?

Hisserdude

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, for the information. Do you feel it is safe to use P.pruinosus as a clean up species in centipede and scorpion tanks?

They should be fine with scorpions and centipedes. It may be a good idea to keep an eye on them while they molt though, and make sure the isopod number never get too high.

I will say, however, that they are not a good species to keep with roaches or anything else with similar food sources, because I have had pruinosus overpopulate and outcompete roach species if given enough food. They should be fine with large predators because there would be a much more limited food source.

• 2 months later...

I do not believe any roach will eat an isopod, unless it was molting and the roaches were starving.

Idk why but my Ischnoptera bilunata (both adults and large nymphs) seem to enjoy eating A. vulgare even though I provide enough food.

Really!?!?!? I've never heard of roaches eating isopods, shows how much I know! :lol:

• 8 months later...

Finally on the board lol. I have T. tomentosa and O. asellus, but hoping to pick up a couple more neat species when things warm up some.

• 1 month later...

Well .... I've officially joined the Isopods Mafia ....I keep the following:

Giant Orange

Costa Rican Dwarf Purples

Dwarf Whites

Multi strip dwarfs

Temperate Springtails ( not sure what temperate means )

Giant Springtails ( these are really huge )

Sorry I don't know latin names. I've ordered two Isopod books on ebay which should give me a good knowledge. These isopods seem to be as addicting as roaches.

I have a group of free roaming giant springtails. I originally put them in my A. avic cage. Then they all moved into my millipede cage. Then one day they were all gone and I eventually found them thriving under the water bowl in my turtle cage lol.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if I ever posted pics here of these guys, but I'll post them anyway. :) These are my favorite isopods I currently own, a "Pied" morph of Cylisticus convexus that I isolated from individuals I caught here in Idaho.

Here are some pictures of them mixed in with normal individuals:

C.convexus%236.JPG

C.convexus%238.JPG

C.convexus%235.JPG

The isolating process is taking a while, they were mixed in with normal ones so the females are still producing brown offspring. One of the recent babies looks normal but has a white antenna, so it looks like they are finally starting to produce "Pied" individuals! :)