Jump to content

What food do your hissers really enjoy?


Ghoul
 Share

Recommended Posts

Mine only seem to like fish food and apple so far, but I want to give them some variety (besides different fish foods lol). They seem to love gammarus and the flakes the most, but eventually crunch on any of the fish food I offer. Any other kind of fruits or such they seemed unimpressed by so far. 

What are the favourite foods of your hissers? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Orange slices seem to be the generally accepted favorite food of many roach species, hissers one of them! They also seem to love turtle hatchling food (strangely specific) and will eat cracked bird seed.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tried some different foods, they seem to like hazelnuts and walnuts but were unimpressed by cashews (slight nibble) and ignored almonds. Bananas seem to be a big love. A bit of fresh cauliflower got devoured quite quickly as well. 

They don't take kibble at all, so praise high protein fish food :d

 

Edit: Orange love confirmed. Cat food denied, haha. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...

In the summer if you have access to fresh, pesticide/herbicide free sugar maple, they'll throw you a party. Mine can't seem to get enough. They also really like apple, grapes and beetle jelly. For protein, I supplement with alfalfa meal, fish flakes and walnuts. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 3/5/2019 at 9:13 PM, Ghoul said:

Mine only seem to like fish food and apple so far, but I want to give them some variety (besides different fish foods lol). They seem to love gammarus and the flakes the most, but eventually crunch on any of the fish food I offer. Any other kind of fruits or such they seemed unimpressed by so far. 

What are the favourite foods of your hissers? 

Hi 

my Madagascar hissers love fruity roach chow available from bugznbits.co.uk and insect fuel from a company called Arcadia and there website is www.arcadia.com and you can feed this from crickets to mealworms I think they like it so much cuz it’s got carrot powder in it spinach etc it’s all ground up so it’s ok for tiny nymphs which is great they also love coriander leaves and stem they love dandelion leaves I put some of these in the tank and they’ve gone in seconds but I do grow my own I get the seeds from eBay 

from Karen 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Mine love lots of foods but their faves are fish food, repashy bug burger, and squash. Try out zucchini, yellow or butternut squashes. Roaches in general seem to like them. I would keep in mind something I've noticed; hissers don't seem to eat a ton or get like, nuts about most things. They seem to eat a fair amount then stop for a day. Mine get excited about fish pellets but not much else. Not that they don't like the foods, I just don't think they're as crazy overall about eating as say dubia. My dubia go nuts for anything lol....except leafy greens, they seem to hate those haha. So it may be your hissers are just behaving with a normal excitement level.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 4/15/2021 at 6:17 PM, RenOfTheRoaches said:

Mine love lots of foods but their faves are fish food, repashy bug burger, and squash. Try out zucchini, yellow or butternut squashes. Roaches in general seem to like them. I would keep in mind something I've noticed; hissers don't seem to eat a ton or get like, nuts about most things. They seem to eat a fair amount then stop for a day. Mine get excited about fish pellets but not much else. Not that they don't like the foods, I just don't think they're as crazy overall about eating as say dubia. My dubia go nuts for anything lol....except leafy greens, they seem to hate those haha. So it may be your hissers are just behaving with a normal excitement level.

huh. my dubias seem to really devour spinach. not sure if you have tried that one yet, but it might be worth a shot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/28/2021 at 6:39 PM, that_bug_girl said:

huh. my dubias seem to really devour spinach. not sure if you have tried that one yet, but it might be worth a shot.

I'll try it out! I found mine take to leafy greens more than I thought; though it could just be they devour anything when there are enough dubia lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RenOfTheRoaches said:

I'll try it out! I found mine take to leafy greens more than I thought; though it could just be they devour anything when there are enough dubia lol.

yeah, my dubias will eat pretty much anything at the end of the day while my hissers just kind of sit there and watch this whole very uninteresting vegetable eating buisiness going down.🙄 lol.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/2/2021 at 7:36 PM, that_bug_girl said:

yeah, my dubias will eat pretty much anything at the end of the day while my hissers just kind of sit there and watch this whole very uninteresting vegetable eating buisiness going down.🙄 lol.

lol same here for mine

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...