Ambitions for 2022?

Hello all, and happy new year. I'm curious about what kind of roach-related projects, resolutions, hopes or daydreams you all have for 2022. A rare species to obtain, a tricky colony to breed?

I'm fairly basic. I've taken a liking to small, colourful roaches. I wouldn't mind adding a jar of Hemithyrsocera to my shelves, either palliata or preferably vittata. I'm keeping my eye on who has Pseudoglomeris magnifica in stock or culture. Yellow banana roaches and 'venom' strain american roaches tickle my fancy too.

I'm keeping an eye on my second colony of Archimandrita tesselata (I had some when I was younger), tweaking their ventilation and other housing factors after reading Hisserdude's blog and the Roachcrossing site, hoping I'm not doing something so stupid that it prevents them dropping nymphs sometime this year. It feels like any roaches that aren't petshop hissers or dubia feeders have dwindled away since I was first in the UK hobby. (unless there are facebook groups selling and trading them like they were going out of fashion) I though tesselata had completely disappeared from it until I stumbled across some on a general buy & sell site.

The same seller also had something unusual to offer at the time. I have to check if he still has some that he's willing to part with.

• Like 2

Personally, I'm planning on picking up some Florda Skunks and an assortment of blaberus species.

Aside from roaches, I'm gonna also grab some millipedes (Ivory and Smokey oak) and lizards (ctenosaura bakeri) at an expo this weekend. 

Let's hope that 2022 is much better than 2020 and 2021...

• Like 2

In 2022, I want to get as many new Perisphaerinae species as possible... Perisphaerus, Pseudoglomeris, Pilema, Zuluia, Compsagis, Laxta, etc., just as many as possible, it's my favorite roach subfamily.

I'd also really like to finally get Archiblatta hoeveni too. We'll see what the year brings! :D

• Like 2

The main thing I'd like to do this year is establish a standard, effective method of securely housing climbing roaches. 

Besides that, I'd be nice to reacquire some of the neat species that I used to keep, as well as pick up a few new ones!

• Like 2

On 1/3/2022 at 2:42 PM, All About Arthropods said:

The main thing I'd like to do this year is establish a standard, effective method of securely housing climbing roaches. 

Besides that, I'd be nice to reacquire some of the neat species that I used to keep, as well as pick up a few new ones!

That silicone grease stuff people are using nowadays REALLY works, using it on some of my Ectobiid setups ATM, they simply can not scale the sides of their enclosure now! 😁 Which opens up more housing possibilities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hisserdude said:

That silicone grease stuff people are using nowadays REALLY works, using it on some of my Ectobiid setups ATM, they simply can not scale the sides of their enclosure now! 😁 Which opens up more housing possibilities.

I've heard about that stuff! Definitely trying some out myself. 😄 You think it's reliable enough to where the actual enclosure doesn't have to be very escape proof as long as you've applied some of the grease? 

17 minutes ago, All About Arthropods said:

I've heard about that stuff! Definitely trying some out myself. 😄 You think it's reliable enough to where the actual enclosure doesn't have to be very escape proof as long as you've applied some of the grease? 

Yeah, like I think you could use a ten gallon tank for Ectobiids with this stuff for example, just so long as adults of flying species can't escape through any gaps in the lid that is. But you don't have to worry about nymphs escaping through lid ventilation and such with a silicone grease barrier.

• Like 1

For 2022 I want to be able to source as many new roach wild caught species/stocks from China, breed them, and introduce to the world.

At this moment, I think I am well underway in this task. I have managed to establish some good connections (insect catchers) in three big roach regions (Yunnan, Guangxi, Hainan), plus 5 or 6 reliable sellers from other regions (Northern areas).

Below is the list of roaches I have managed to source within China in 2021. 

Allacta Bimaculata
Eucorydia LingLong
Hemithyrsocera Vittata
Margattea sp. "Macau"
Margattea Nimbata
Homalosilpha sp. "Guangxi"
Perisphaerus Punctatus
Pseudoglomeris Aerea
Pseudoglomeris Beybienkoi
Pseudoglomeris Magnífica
Pseudoglomeris Planiuscula
Pseudoglomeris Valida Moderata
Rhabdoblatta Imperatrix

So I hope to be able to continue, and surpass this in 2022 especially with Spring soon approaching.

If possible and if travel restrictions are lifted, I hope to be able to do the same in Thailand, since my wife is Thai, and we spend a decent amount of time there as well.

On a personal collection note, I hope to improve my keeping knowledge and skills. I am struggling with a couple species at the moment, such as Rhyparobia maderae gold (as example). Hope to have them breeding asap.

Regarding enclosures, I want to fine tune keeping/breeding efficient ones and still retain a decent amount of display/exhibition factor.

And i think thats all :D

Wish you all a HNY of 2022!

Cheers 

Martin

PS: and update my site more often regarding roaches :)

• Like 3

On 1/3/2022 at 4:42 PM, All About Arthropods said:

Roach Crossing has a new barrier that has worked perfectly for me! Definitely worth checking out.

On 1/5/2022 at 12:10 AM, Hisserdude said:

That silicone grease stuff people are using nowadays REALLY works

I was going to try vaseline on my latest tub, but I actually have silicone grease hiding somewhere too. Originally for making fountain pens watertight, of all things.

Great sets of lists, all. I ran out of likes on this topic alone.

20 hours ago, FlamingSwampert said:

Roach Crossing has a new barrier that has worked perfectly for me! Definitely worth checking out.

Yeah not sure exactly what that stuff is, but apparently it works quite well. 

On 1/4/2022 at 8:24 PM, Hisserdude said:

Yeah, like I think you could use a ten gallon tank for Ectobiids with this stuff for example, just so long as adults of flying species can't escape through any gaps in the lid that is. But you don't have to worry about nymphs escaping through lid ventilation and such with a silicone grease barrier.

Great to know!

On 1/5/2022 at 8:20 PM, FlamingSwampert said:

I do plan on using something very similar! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, Happy New Year!

I plan to collect the rest of the available Corydiinae, Peresphaerinae, Oxyhaloinae species and collect as many Palearctic Buthidae species as possible (Androctonus, Leiurus, Buthus, Mesobuthus, Olivierus, Orthochirus etc.) and propagate them :). It's finally time to collect the Buthidae of the Palearctic!

One of my teenage girls Androctonus australis Egypt :)

35-_9z8CZV0.jpg?size=810x1080&quality=95&sign=483f834c440fb89a24aa3efa86cc1764&type=album

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Martin said:

Which ones are you looking for? or missing?

I don't have many taxa of Peresphaerinae: Perisphaerus sp. Japan, Perisphaerus pygmaeus, Pseudoglomeris magnifica, Pseudoglomeris tarsalis, Bantua sp. Namibia. Interested in all genera and species. Eucorydia species are also very interesting, of which I have only three: Eucorydia jasumatsui, Eucorydia forceps and Eucorydia aenea, I would like other species, but it is very difficult to get them in Russia :)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Gromphadorhini said:

I don't have many taxa of Peresphaerinae: Perisphaerus sp. Japan, Perisphaerus pygmaeus, Pseudoglomeris magnifica, Pseudoglomeris tarsalis, Bantua sp. Namibia. Interested in all genera and species. Eucorydia species are also very interesting, of which I have only three: Eucorydia jasumatsui, Eucorydia forceps and Eucorydia aenea, I would like other species, but it is very difficult to get them in Russia :)

Maybe we can do some exchanges later this year. But first i need to grow and breed my colonies :)

My goal is to collect all species and variations of Blaberus and Eublaberus currently in culture. I counted around 20-something different stocks to acquire, and am currently almost halfway there (listed below), and only need marajoara to round out Eublaberus.

Blaberus giganteus, suspect colosseus "Panama", craniifer, discoidialis, discoidialis "Banana Bay", peruvianusEublaberus serranus, sp. "Ivory", posticus, and distanti.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Arthroverts said:

My goal is to collect all species and variations of Blaberus and Eublaberus currently in culture. I counted around 20-something different stocks to acquire, and am currently almost halfway there (listed below), and only need marajoara to round out Eublaberus.

Blaberus giganteus, suspect colosseus "Panama", craniifer, discoidialis, discoidialis "Banana Bay", peruvianusEublaberus serranus, sp. "Ivory", posticus, and distanti.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Nice! FYI, I honestly wouldn't trust any "discoidalis" without locales to be pure discoidalis nowadays. At least, you'd have to find someone who's been culturing hobby stock for a very long time, without any new blood added to their cultures. IDK if even @Allpet Roaches has an old discoidalis colony like that.

I'm hoping to get a few things happening roach wise.

My Therea regularis are starting to emerge as adults, so I am hopeful for a reasonable sex ratio and viable ooths. 

I'd love to try blatticomposting, probably with ivory roaches. 

I'd like to get either dwarf hissers or red pronotum Halloween hissers. 

Figure out what my little Kenyans want to get that colony reproducing more regularly. 

Bonus unlikely-but-hopeful events: get a Perisphaerinae species and practice husbandry in hopes of getting a Pseudoglomeris magnifica colony. Possibly grab a Eucorydia species. Network more with the local bug hobbyists to see who's having luck with what (and possibly trade when I have surplus from my various colonies).

Edited by GardenDrag0n
Typos
  • Like 2

On 1/28/2022 at 12:55 AM, Hisserdude said:

Nice! FYI, I honestly wouldn't trust any "discoidalis" without locales to be pure discoidalis nowadays. At least, you'd have to find someone who's been culturing hobby stock for a very long time, without any new blood added to their cultures. IDK if even @Allpet Roaches has an old discoidalis colony like that.

Thanks for the heads-up. My specimens without a locale came from @Acro, but we couldn't trace them back any farther unfortunately.

Wouldn't it be nice if DNA sequencing cheap and easy, so we could easily figure out hybrids from pure species? Pipe dreams of an invertebrate enthusiast I guess.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

1 hour ago, Arthroverts said:

My specimens without a locale came from @Acro, but we couldn't trace them back any farther unfortunately.

You did get Peppereds from me about . . . 20 or 25 years ago I think.  I've lost most (if not all) of the records from that far back.  But back in the early days of roach keeping, there were a lot less hybrids than there are now.  A lot less species being kept too.  lol